Fitting external door - minor problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm learning how to replace/fit an external door and frame myself (I begrudge paying the £150 quoted by a joiner) as the original in the side of my garage is rotting away.

I've bought all the correct ingredients - door, frame, 5 lever mortice, hinges, handles, wood preservative...

I wouldn't be able to do it all in one day (or week!) so before removing the original door.... I've assembled the frame, measured and chiselled out the recesses for hinges (both door and frame), drilled out the area for the lock (on both door and frame), everything fits together wonderfully... except the door does not sit flush against the frame on the hinge side...

Can someone please provide advice. Is it simply a case of recess the hinge pin area (whatever its called) and drill more holes in the frame or what?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you need to find out if your frame is parralell if its ok except in one corner it wont be a good fit
again if the door has twisted it wont work

you cannot finalise any adjustments untill the frame is fitted in the opening fully squared and fully horizontal and vertical ;)

any tinkering now will not nessiserily help when the frame is fitted

hello again, I finally found time to fit my door frame and door - the door fits fine - great! But as per my original email there's a 5mm gap all the way around the door. :(

The door is softwood - the frame is hardwood.

Should I remove the hinges from the frame, chisel out the extra 5mm for the hinges (and a recess for the hinge pin) and strike plate and refit? Do I fill the existing holes with anything?

I'm not a joiner, but I'm capable of setting myself to a DIY task.

where exactly is the gap!!! is it between the door and frame or the door and door stop!!!

are you trying to fit a 38mm door into a 44mm rebate!!!!

did the blurb state its an exterior door!!!!

Sponsored Links
Yea assuming you have a normal butt hinge have a look at the other doors in your house. The hinge pin always sits in the same place just on the inside of the door but outside the frame (i.e. into the room) Where the full stop is below in my crap dagram

___ \.___

So you just chisel out a rebate in the frame for the hinge in the same you you do for the door. Of course if you have already trimmed the door to fit and test hung with a stop on it you can not do this as it will move the door 5mm to the hinge side and leave a 10mm gap to the other. You could fit a larger stop if your stuck.

If you haven't hung it yet then do as above.

Are you saying the door is 10mm narrower than the door frame opening ?

Example

Door 762, door frame opening 772mm

Or are you saying the rebate of the door frame is 5mm deeper ?

Example

Door thickness 40mm door frame rebate 45mm

Or are you saying the door is 5mm thicker than the rebate of the door frame ?

Example

Door thickness 45mm door frame rebate 40mm

If you house the hinges in an extra 5mm wont that give you a 10mm gap down the leading edge of the door ? That’s if I am reading your question correctly that you have a 5mm gap all round the door.

I bought the door knowing it was an interior door - but so too was the door it was replacing - door and frame were rotten.

I'm not familiar with the correct terminology - is it the door stop or architrave? You close the door and it should butt up against it - its here where there is a 5-6mm gap all around.

I think the "rebate" is about 50mm, and the door depth is about 44mm.

btw, this is a side door&frame into an detatched garage, not the house!

oh, and the door is already hung.

its an all pine wooden door, not hollow. I couldn't afford an external hardwood door. B&Q have external pine doors, what I have looks more robust.

Sorry to rain on your parade but the door you purchased was false economy big time and I mean big time. Any internal door is not constructed nor designed to be used as an external door be it solid pine or hard wood. Why you ask well the glue used in the construction is not external grade and so will break down in our wet weather it’s as simple as that. Next year you will be asking why as the joints on my door coming apart.

Have a look at this guide it may give you an idea on how to get over you problem. It’s a large file of 8MB so may take a little time to down load.

Bringing this thread back to its original question - if I've already hung the door, and I have a 5mm gap between the door and the "doorstop" (or achitrave what ever its called), is it possible for me to refit the hinges and strike plate 5mm inwards to ensure a tight fit, and maybe fill the existing holes with something? Or not?

(The £150 quote you refer to was for labour only - and considering the last joinery labour I paid for ended up with two badly fitting internal doors - by an "experienced" local joiner, I may as well "badly fit it" myself and learn DIY and joinery! )

Your question as already been answered by a member and with all the other information offered by other member you should be in a position to come to an informed decision. So I recommended that you read through all the replies and follow all the links.

P.S

You may have got a bad job from the other carpenter due to you supplying the incorrect materials. Just like you have purchased the wrong door for the job in hand. The following sayings spring to mind “People in glass houses should not throw stones” or you can’t expect any one to "Make a silk purse out of a pigs hear".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back