Fitting hot water cylinder outside house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Was wondering if I could remove my existing hot water cylinder and re-fit a new 210L cylinder in a purpose brick built and ventilated hut. Wanting to do this to enable me to do a loft conversion.

Thanks

Ifsa

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't think so due to the waste of energy factor. :eek:
The heat loss would be unacceptable and I don't see the Building Inspectors allowing it either. :(

Unvented would be ok but pipes need to be well insulated.You will have to get a guy who is qualified to do this as they are a potential bomb if not fitted correctly.Plenty of these things are fitted in garages.

Sponsored Links
If the hut is on the ground floor then it would have to be an unvented cylinder to supply water to a first floor bathroom.

The pipework would have to be well insulated and possibly water proof.

Iwould have thought the main problem would be the risk of freezing in the winter.

If properly engineered I think it's a decent idea. You'd need proper frost protection, designed by someone who understands the issues. May be a place for electrical trace (wire) heating of the pipes.

Thank you all for responding.

The tank will be mains pressured and will be well insulated and also house a radiator close by to keep hut warm in winter. It's my understanding from the responses so far that placing a hot water cylinder (megaflo) outside the house is acceptable if well insulated ?

Thanks again.

Ifsa

If the hut is fitted with a radiator building control will probably expect the structure to be insulated to conform to part L of the building regs. :?:

might be beter to keep the hut within the scope of an "annex"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back