fitting pedestal sink to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a full pedestal sink for my bathroom. The bathroom wall is plasterboard but I am assuming that since the pedestal takes the weight I can just use some kind of toggle or wing anchor that fans out behind and screw into it.

The wall is deceorated so fitting a nogging is not an option now.

My problem is that the holes in the sink for fixing it to the wall are VERY big so I couldn't use a normal screw/bolt as it would not clamp the sink against the wall.

Are there special fixing kits for this kind of sink?

What should I ask for in my local hardware store?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Have a look at 'hollow wall anchors' like toggle bolts, they really grip well. However, you need to choose one that is suitable for the thickness of your plasterboard. One that is too long wont grip firmly when fully set - it will just rotate.
It is possible of course to use a fitting that will go right through the plasterboard and into the wall behind...no use if its a studding wall though!
You may have to look at large penny washers to cover the hole in your basin, and check that the pedestal is a reasonable fit. A good layer of silicone or similar is a good move here.
John :)

"Fisher basin fixing kit"

This kit will provide you with what you need local plumbers merchants will have them in stock

Also good quality clear sanitary silicone use this on the part that will stick against the wall.

Sponsored Links
Decoration would not prevent fixing a nogging since it would be behind sink and not visible, simple plasterboard fixing will not prevent it being pulled away from the wall, the pedestal takes the weight but does not secure the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back