Fitting Window Contacts

GJS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for neatly fitting window contacts? I have PIRs at the moment but plan to fit contacts as I decorate each room. It's running the wire from the contact to the plaster work, where it will be buried, that would seem to be unavoidable and unsightly. The windows are uPVC double glazed.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What a waste of time.

If Mr Burglar decides your place is the one - you can do what you like and it won't make a bit of difference.

i wouldn't put it like joe did, but agree they are a waste of time.

Ideally each window should be on its own cct, which TBH is not realy (new word) practicable. You sill have to run the wire up to the window (it must be on the NOT hinged side)

the more you have the more there is to go wrong

Sorry, I'm not with you. What is waste of time? Fitting window contacts or trying to hide the wiring?

I want to fit contacts because I think they are less prone to false alarms than PIRs and I can full set the alarm at night and still walk around the house.

Sponsored Links
Instead of putting a contact on every opening vent, Why not use a shock sensor? Only 1 cable and if placed in the correct position will cover the whole window, You say contacts are more reliable than a p.i.r.......... what p.i.r detectors are you using?

. What is waste of time? Fitting window contacts or trying to hide the wiring?
both

as i said idealy each contact should be on its own cct, and unless you use trunking windows are not the easiest thing to hide cables on

Trunking..... Why not try peeling the wall paper back where the seem is, put in a little channel for your cable down to the window, Then fill in the channel and stick the wall paper back down with some paste. Much tidyer job.

When I suggested contacts are more reliable than PIRs I meant fundamentally. Won't a PIR trigger if a fly lands on it or a spider crawls over it?

I have read that vibration sensors are prone to false alarms?

I don't plan to use trunking and all the cables can be buried in the plaster. It's going from the contact to the plaster that I was asking about.

It'll look awful and dated whatever you do - and won't give hardly any extra cover. Deal with your fear of crime instead.

peeling wall paper back seldom works, and i have yet to see a window with wall paper on it.

all devices can suffer from false alarms.

i would not bother with them, as i said befroe the more you have the more to go wrong.

Real alarm companies who have pride in their work would usually drill into the cavity, drop the cable down and to drill and fish it out below skirting board level. Practice and patience is the order of the day in doing this, but it don't arf look good when done.

Of course, if you've got cavity wall insulation ..........................

thats not true what so ever.

what you meant to say was, a good engineer who has the skill and time...........

most alarm companies now want engineers in and out, move to the next job.

How will your window contacts work if Mr. Burglar breaks the glass and climbs though that hole?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back