Fitting Wireless Thermostat to old Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd like to fit a room thermostat to my old boiler that is currently only controlled by the Boiler thermostat.

It is an old 80's Gravity fed HW, pumped CH Ideal Mexico Super 75.

I still have all the instruction & installation manuals and it seems relatively straight forward in that the room stat sits in-between the pumps live and the timer, meaning once temperature reached it cuts off the pump. I appreciate it's not the most efficient system but it works well!

Any suggestions on model of Wireless stat?

Another oddity I have with the system is that when the HW is on (but not CH) the Bathroom radiator heats up as was often the case with the old systems as fed off the Gravity HW, however when I put the CH on as well something strange seems to happen in that the gravity fed radiator in the bathroom warms up right up to the inlet of the radiator but the water doesn't seem to be able to push through...... any thoughts?

Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Try turning the other rads down to see if the bathroom heats up, if so, adjust the lockshields to balance the system.

Try turning the other rads down to see if the bathroom heats up, if so, adjust the lockshields to balance the system.

Thanks, but the other rads are on a different system I believe (i.e. they are all pumped by the CH pump on a different circuit, rather than Gravity fed), however I'll give it a go.

Not really familiar with those systems, but also maybe turning the pump down may allow gravity to do more for the rad.

Sponsored Links
The reason that the bathroom Rad heats on HW only is that it is the heat expansion rad from the Gravity HW and was a heat dump for when the tank was hot enough, very common in days gone past, try turning your pump speed up rather than down

The reason that the bathroom Rad heats on HW only is that it is the heat expansion rad from the Gravity HW and was a heat dump for when the tank was hot enough, very common in days gone past, try turning your pump speed up rather than down

Thanks, thats how I understand it - i've turned up the pump so will report back. I actually think it's a really good idea, that way you get a hot towel rail in the summer.

Ive read before about a anti-gravity valve that the pump when on pushes open, is it possible that this is stuck, i.e. would I get these symptoms?

Lastly - anyone on which wireless stat? Been looking online and come across Honeywell DT92E, any good?

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back