fixing damaged door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was taking some wood off from the side of the door (to fit it into the frame) and some wood splintered off at the bottom. :cry:

The doors are quite expensive (as they contain thick glass), so replacing them is out of the question.

They are solid wood (not hollow). What is the best way to go about repairing the door?

Sponsored Links
Take of the splintered bit and get some thin glue on the surfaces, then clamp it back together. When the glue's set clean it up.

would help to know wheter its going to be varnished!!!
how big the chips are what wood its [oak pine ect or light med dark]

The door is stained, but am taking the stain off at present, repriming and painting in white.

I've attached two photos of the door damage.

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
ooooooohhhhhh how did you manage :cry: not quite splinters then

fillers not realy an option as its a high wear area assuming its the lock edge as there are no hinge pockets

the way i would do it is get a simmilar sized bit off wood looks like 45mm by about 9mm will cover it youll know best
cut the complete dammaged section offup to a point just above the dammage
dont cut square at the end angle in at about 30 degees so the door supports the end clamp and glue
idealy youll have about 1mm left to sand off to give you a smooth finnish
make shure you wipe off all excess wood glue propperly as it will not stain and can show through varnish

now looking at the actual dammage you have either got a shake[fault in the wood] or your tools arnt very sharp as that dammage is quite severe

Thanks for the advice.

The damage was actually done with a sander. I was sanding underneath, to stop it scraping on the carpet. As I reached the end of the door, that section of wood just splintered off like that - so I'm guessing the wood was always damaged. :cry:

I'm seeing how I go repairing them, as I was in a few DIY places (and wood suppliers) and new doors aren't the cheapest things in the world.

good luck if you need any more help just come back and we will help you :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back