Silly question about internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know internal doors tend to be hollow and may be filled with newspaper etc. Today, as I went into the bathroom, there was a piece of wood lying on the floor. I couldn't work out where it had come from then I felt under the door.

The bottom of the door has been planed down enough that there's nothing except large hollows all the way across. I imagine the door was trimmed down to help accommodate the thick underlay and carpet in the hallway.

My question: am I okay to leave it as it is? Should I try to add some trim to the bottom of the door (I'm aware I'd need to take a bit off the bottom to accommodate the thickness of the trim)?

Sponsored Links
take the door off and look at the bottom. It will be made of two sheets of ply or hardboard with a gap between them. Your bit of wood may have fallen out of this gap. See if you can push it back in. If so, add some wood glue and, if you are extravagant, a few pins.

This will delay the time when the door needs to be thrown away.

take the door off and look at the bottom. It will be made of two sheets of ply or hardboard with a gap between them. Your bit of wood may have fallen out of this gap. See if you can push it back in. If so, add some wood glue and, if you are extravagant, a few pins.

This will delay the time when the door needs to be thrown away.
The gap is all along the width of the door and the bit of wood is about six inches long.

Though probably not by much.
I was planning on renewing the internal doors and frames/architraves as they're all slightly out of square in every direction. But not for a couple of years yet.

Sponsored Links
I replaced all my doors (hollow panelled with stuck on beading) with a matching set of stripped pine doors, and changed the short 1960s skirting and architrave to wider ogee (3" arch, 7" skirt).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back