Internal Door fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a builder put in new hollow moulded internal doors.

Firstly they did not cut the door short enough so there would not be any room for carpet underneath. I asked them to raise them so there is 20mm clearance and now there is no wood left at the bottom of the door only the hollow bit.

Any advice what I should do, I have not paid the builder yet. Does this warrant getting him to insert 4 new doors or will this not likely be an issue. I am paying a decent amount for the doors to be fitted so I want it done properly.

help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The usual way is to insert a length of timber that has been carefully planed to fit, and fix that in with glue.
20mm clearance above the carpet seems excessive though!
John :)

i normally try and leave 12mm,6mm for decent underlay and 6mm for the carpet.
20mm does seem excessive,
but when i have this problem with these types of doors you can normally reuse the timber that has been removed.
you will need to remove the hardboard/mdf facing from the timber and ten with either decent glue or grip fil refix it to the inside of the door.

thanks for the replies,

There is about a 18-20mm clearance for the carpet. I plan on getting some 11mm underlay and a fairly decent carpet so hopefully the will be clearance for the door. As I have had enough of the builder I have decided to leave it. I will just glue some wood in there when I get round to decorating.

Why is it so difficult to get the job you pay for done properly :rolleyes: :)

Sponsored Links
Has the bit of wood cut off the bottom of the door been thrown away? If not you can prise out the batten and re-use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back