Fixing dodgy building work - insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a loft and ground floor extension completed. Relationships with the builders deteriorated as the job went on. Our architect specified a high level of insulation originally but I don't think we got that, due to the builders concerns about supply/cost, and the house is now colder than before, and costing more to heat.

One of the issues is my wife wanted a high level of finish in the under-eaves cupboards that led the builders to tear out celotex insulation and replace with rock-wool as we wanted them to board across the eaves so it looked seamless. The eaves are now very cold, and there is a box room under them that is now very cold and the main bedroom that is next to that, again partially under the eaves, is now much colder than it was. The orginal loft insulation was stripped off the floor of the loft when the loft was converted.

So now we have laid LVT across all the loft extension floor including inside the eaves cupboard.

So my question is, we need to get the ceilings in the first floor below the loft extension repaired due to the damage made by the builders. Should I ask the plasterer to stuff in rockwool insulation above the plasterboard in an effort to re-insulate the areas of ceiling under the eaves, ie working upside down, so to speak?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back