Fixing tiles of differing thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls of my shower are being tiled, and we have two types of tile. The main one is about 10mm thick, then every so often there is a strip of a smaller mosaic tile about 7mm thick. Am I being unreasonable in expecting them all to be fixed such that their surfaces are flush, i.e. the adhesive behind the thinner tiles would be built up by an extra 3mm or so? It seems so obvious that I didn't mention it specifically to the tiler but I wonder if this is the accepted way of doing things. Apart from anything else I'm interested to see how he will grout between the 2 differing levels.

Sponsored Links
I'm glad you think so, unfortunately he has already stuck them on without any padding at all. I can't believe anyone, let alone a tiler, would have thought that looks right. Do you think I'll be able to get the mosaics off without damaging the tanking?

The trouble is that to get the mosaics flush with the other tiles, you would have to stop tiling when you've fitted the mosaics. Then, when they're set, you can lay on top of them (otherwise they'd move when adding tiles over them). This would take extra time (and cost) so maybe your tiler is trying to save you some coin.

Sponsored Links
I have come across this problem quite a few times and normally tile upto where the mosaics are going then trim up a piece of wood the width of the band of mosaics,fix in position then tile above.
Then remove the wood when the adhesive has gone off and fit the mosaics into the strip (bedding them out a bit with adhesive) all it takes is a little forward planning.

gcol - very magnanimous of you but he had plenty of plumbing to do in the meantime, so doing the mosaics first didn't leave any idle time, in fact they were put on first and left overnight to set.
lance - thanks for your tip, which I will use next time, I also thought of fixing the mosiacs lightly to the wall then removing and refixing once the other tiles were on.
Anyway, all academic as it's done now and I can't face starting again.
I also noticed this morning that he has tiled from the bottom of the shower up, so the top row of tiles is at a different level on one wall compared with the other.
The more I look the worse it gets, I think I will be switching to the Disasters forum soon.

i love mosaic borders going through the place, means i get 2 half days :)

:cool:

I'm glad you like them, I used to but have changed my mind in the last couple of days. At least they are easy to get off. :evil:

Forgot to mention, for everyone's amusement, I asked my tiler why the mosaics sat further back than the other tiles, leaving ridges in the wall. Quick as a flash came the answer "if you look, they are quite a bit thinner than the others". Thanks! I hadn't realised. :evil: :evil:

Oh right, I thought the smaller tiles would be easier. The adhesive has been on for a day or two so it sounds like I have my work cut out. Hopefully he has made a poor job of sticking them on.

I have just removed them, it took about 2 minutes. Luckily :?: he stuck them straight on to a newly painted surface so they came off rather easily.

he stuck them straight on to a newly painted surface so they came off rather easily.

That's a bit worrying,if the surface is painted it's best to get as much of the paint off as possible before tiling.A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link,if the paint comes loose the tiles will too.

Thanks, yes, I have removed the paint ready for fixing the tiles again properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back