Flashing bulbs when switch is off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Situation is: new house which we are still getting used to.

Bulb on first floor landing is controlled by 2 switches, one on first floor and one on ground floor, near the entrance.

It used to be 100W, but I switched to energy saving bulbs - first tried 75 W then 60 W. But I thought it was still too bright for our needs, and so, replaced the 60W bulb with a 40W energy saving one. This is when I note that even when the switch is off, it gives out regular flashes/glows.

Is this normal and safe? Is the electric circuit dodgy in any way, I wonder?
I have replaced it with the 60W bulb anyhow until I figure out whether we need to have the whole electrioc circuit checked out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is not unusual with CFL (energy saving) lamps. A small trace current is induced within the wire for the switch drop (worse if it is a long drop, as wil be the case on an upstairs/downstairs circuit) which the lamp's electronic circuitry accumulates until it is enough to make a small flash.

If you have another load on the circuit (e.g. a filament lamp on the landing) it will drain this tiny current.

I have found that some brands of CFL don't seem to do it, but not sure which. I must try to have a look. Probably either GE or Tesco cheapo.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys!!
Seems that this is normal, so will switch back to the 40W ES bulb as long as the flashing does not pose a fire hazard...?.
Need to do our best for the planet after all...
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back