Flashing under cills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm building my own extension and have made a bit of a cock up with the roof finishing height. It comes just under the cills for the 1st floor windows whuch causes me problems with the flashing. In my head I've got a few options, 1. Replace the cills with a thinner ones to allow more room or 2. Cut the existing cills to achieve the same outcome. There are 2 cills, each different sizes and there's about 50mm bewteen them and the roof. I know I should have got my heights right but it's my first try . Any ideas would be much aprreciated

Sponsored Links
It does but its too dark for pictures right now. Hopefully this scribbled drawing helps a bit. Of not ill get a proper pic tomorrow

Attachments

• 16969639847358786510369132245990.jpg
    16969639847358786510369132245990.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 39
Hi, I'm building my own extension and have made a bit of a cock up with the roof finishing height. It comes just under the cills for the 1st floor windows whuch causes me problems with the flashing. In my head I've got a few options, 1. Replace the cills with a thinner ones to allow more room or 2. Cut the existing cills to achieve the same outcome. There are 2 cills, each different sizes and there's about 50mm bewteen them and the roof. I know I should have got my heights right but it's my first try . Any ideas would be much aprreciated
Is there 50mm of clearance, once the roof materials (tiles etc) are in place? Have you fitted the tiles yet?

We'd pre-empt this whilst at the roof carcass stage and dress some lead under the sill, prior to tiling. It will be largely protected under there in any case. Either side of the window jambs needs a wee bit of care, as the lead will sit higher at this point, so will need some careful dressing into each window reveal.

Sponsored Links
Is there 50mm of clearance, once the roof materials (tiles etc) are in place? Have you fitted the tiles yet?

We'd pre-empt this whilst at the roof carcass stage and dress some lead under the sill, prior to tiling. It will be largely protected under there in any case. Either side of the window jambs needs a wee bit of care, as the lead will sit higher at this point, so will need some careful dressing into each window reveal.
There will be 50mm clearance once the tiles have gone on and I havent got that far just yet so that's good. When you say dress the lead under the cill, is this as normal only without the 150mm upstand and then 150mm upstand where there is no cill? Like my picture? Thank you for your reply

Attachments

• 20231011_071719.jpg
    20231011_071719.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 31
Yes that's the ticket, all assuming you don't have an overzealous BCO ....

Just make sure the lead is dressed properly so that it ties in with the ones under the cill as nosey mentioned.

There will be 50mm clearance once the tiles have gone on and I havent got that far just yet so that's good. When you say dress the lead under the cill, is this as normal only without the 150mm upstand and then 150mm upstand where there is no cill? Like my picture? Thank you for your reply
A 150mm upstand is only relevant where its needed. Windows, glass and sills, don't wick water.

Cheers for this, easier than I expected and my BCO has been decent up to this point so we shall see

Cheers for this, easier than I expected and my BCO has been decent up to this point so we shall see
BCO?
If 150mm splash was ever an issue with windows, then there would need to be lead sat atop every sill.
As I said, you need to be a wee bit creative with the lead at the jambs/reveals, and how you dress the lead into them.

The lead shouldn't come passed the sills anyway they're 200mm thick so it's just getting it nicely fit around them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back