flat fire alarm and exit lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having to build an internal exit passage and fire lobby. The place will be rewired and the distribution board will be moved.

Should I put the passage lighting and smoke alarm on an SWA or pyro supply without an RCD? Indeed, can they share a supply?

Sponsored Links
It is a house converted to self-contained flats. The first floor flat and my ground floor flat share an entrance hall. I am reconfiguring the layout of the flat and LABC insist on two fire doors between living rooms and the entrance hall. The agreed solution is a fire lobby in the lounge behind the entrance door opening into the old back passage leading to the bathroom past the bedroom. There will be borrowed light from the lounge.

Sponsored Links
Currently the flat's front door opens from the shared hall directly into the studio flat. The lobby is to introduce a fire door between the new lounge/kitchen and the front door. This is to allow egress from the bedroom without passing though the lounge/kitchen.

If you are installing self contained emergency lighting then there is no need to use pyro, it should be fed from the local lighting circuit.
Are the smokes part of a proper fire alarm system or just normal interlinked ones?

BS 5839 part 6
interlinked detection within the flats (heat in kitchen + optical)
interlinked detection in hallways

you can also fit `hush` buttons if you want to all parts of the install

emergency lighting

above final exits, general area illumination and change of level

fe via an keyswitch and local lighting supply for the areas to to be illuminated.

non maintained should surfice for all fittings on ceilings, exit signage HAS to be maintained.

Oasis

BUT!
if the building is to be used as independent rooms with shared kitchen/toilet facilities, then you come into the realms of
BS5839 EN54 LD2 system

this means
a fixed control panel with detectors and sounders, battery back etc, this has to be wired in FP200 or other fire resistant cabling to the requirements of BS7671, installation of fire detection in buildings.
it also has to be certified and maintained in accordance with the local authority and insurance companies requirements.

Oasis

As this is a self-contained flat in a building with a largest floor area of about 50m² (i.e. much less than 200m²) and with a shared entrance hall, it looks like I need emergency lighting above the exit door (to the shared entrance hall), a single smoke detector in the hallway (less than 7.5m length). As the kitchen/lounge is separated by a fire door, I shouldn't need a separate thermal detector in there but might go for one anyway, as the fire door won't have a closer.

I see that I could use an isolation switch for the fire alarm and share the "regularly used lighting" circuit in the hallway. I'm thinking of taking the alarm supply from the hallway light rose, through an isolation rocker switch mounted on the ceiling with a neon indicator to the smoke detector "at least 300mm from walls and luminaries".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back