Flat Surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm really new to the whole DIY thing and i really need some advice. i have a Lay Z Spa.

http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=2623

Its basically an inflatable spa with a base diameter of 2060mm. i need a flat surface approximately 2500mm which is flat for it to sit on. it weighs almost a ton without people in it.

i was thinking about decking but the problem is that i am in a rented house. i have concrete slabs in my garden which from house to grass measure about 2200mm so it would fit the spa but I'm looking for it to overlap on to the garden slightly. the slabs are very level but have a ridged texture

i really don't fancy digging as it will no doubt annoy the landlord but can anyone sujest what i could do to make a flatter surface for this spa. if its decking i can only really make a frame that is not connected to the house or in the ground sit that atop the slabs.

the essayer method is to get a thick sheet of some kind of board and just sit that atop the slabs in either case I'm hoping the weight of the spa alone will hold these in place. the problem with the second option is what board? i don't want it to rot.

I am really looking for the cheapest simplest solution to my dilemma. if it was my won house i would have decking down but as I will be in this rented house for at least the summer, i need a quick . my dilemma

Sponsored Links
were you drinking when you wrote this?

Anyway, what about a big sheet or two of exterior grade ply from B&Q? The thicker it is, the more regid the surface. Big sheets will take out some of the un-evenness of the slabs, although you may have a problem if the patio is sloping significantly. Is it?

WabbitPoo said:
A little, its probably more because im really tired.

there is no significant slope in the slabs they are pretty flat, they have about 10mm gaps between each slab and the odd one is possibly a couple of mm higher than those surrounding them, its literally a couple of mm at most to. you dont even notice unless you are looking for it.

is there a specific type of ply board i need?

I dont really know Ply from MDF. i just know i need some board that will even out the slight gaps and rough texture of the slabs, will take 1ton of weight and wont rot with the water

ask at timber merchant (also good idea tell them its for outside)

Sponsored Links
Deap said:
WabbitPoo said:
A little, its probably more because im really tired.

there is no significant slope in the slabs they are pretty flat, they have about 10mm gaps between each slab and the odd one is possibly a couple of mm higher than those surrounding them, its literally a couple of mm at most to. you dont even notice unless you are looking for it.

is there a specific type of ply board i need?

I dont really know Ply from MDF. i just know i need some board that will even out the slight gaps and rough texture of the slabs, will take 1ton of weight and wont rot with the water

Look at the edge of the board - ply has stripes (the plys - plies?). As I said, go for exterior grade ply (it'll be marked as such on the shelf label). If you wanna be really careful, give it all two coats of exterior (or yacht) varnish, especially the edges. That'll help keep the water at bay for a summer. MDF is a no-no. Just make sure the board you get gets a good check over for splinters before you put the bath on it.

it would, though no point in having them under the tub - you'll never see 'em.

WabbitPoo said:

You will be able to see some of the board and the more i make it look like it might be real decking the better, id rather have a shoddy tiled area than an ugly piece of ply unnder it

Deap said:
WabbitPoo said:

You will be able to see some of the board and the more i make it look like it might be real decking the better, id rather have a shoddy tiled area than an ugly piece of ply unnder it

Whatever - its your choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back