Flex Plate in Bathroom Zone 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there having been reading up on my regs i have realised that we may have a small issue with the towel rail in our Bathroom.

The rail itself is located in Zone 2 in the bathroom with an ipx4 heated element. This is connected with flex to a flex outlet plate which joins it with 2.5TE which goes to a 3AMP switched FCU on the otherside of the bathroom door in the hall.

From what i understand all electrical parts in zone 2 should be ipx4 and this is where the flex plate falls down.

This is the flex plate in question https://www.mkelectric.com/en-ar/Pr...plus/flexoutletfrontplate/Pages/K1090WHI.aspx and in the technical PDF it says:

IP rating:
With flex outlet: IP2XD
Without flex outlet: IP4X

The plate is aprox 40cm from the bath at the moment.

Does anyone know of any IPX4 flexplates or would a simpler option be to have the plate shifted 25cm away from the bath and thus out of zone 2?

Sponsored Links
Thats not what i read?

Zone 2 - The area stretching to 0.6m outside the bath or shower and above the bath or shower if over 2.25m. An IP rating of at least IPX4(IP44) is required. In this zone, if there is likelihood of water jets being used for cleaning purposes, a minimum of IPX5 is required. Also, subject to IP rating, SELV or 240V luminaires may be used in this zone. In addition, it is a good practice to also consider the area around a wash basin (within a 60cm radius of any tap) as Zone 2.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt use a flex outlet plate. My prefered method is to run the flex from the rad through the wall through one of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXCBW.html

Then connect to an FCU etc outside the bathroom.

Thanks that does seem like a better option. Only issue is that the flex cable wasn't left a lot of slack by whoever installed it. We could easily replace the element however.

Zone 2 - The area stretching to 0.6m outside the bath or shower and above the bath or shower if over 2.25m. ...
I'm not sure where that came from. Anything more than 2.25m above finished floor level is not in any zone, even if over a bath/shower (unless the outlet/head of the shower is >2.25m above ffl).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I have edited again. I was concentrating on the 60cm as I had already cocked that up.

So many mistakes in one article.

Time for tea.

Zone 2 - The area stretching to 0.6m outside the bath or shower and above the bath or shower if over 2.25m.
Correct.
Unless I'm going mad (far from impossible :) ), I don't think so - see my recent post.

Kind Regards, John

Just some random website explaining the regs hah. Ignoring the Zone 2 above 2.25m part is the part about zone 2 60cm from the bath correct meaning i shouldn't really have the outlet plate there?

edit: better site explaining the zoning regs:

http://www.denmans.co.uk/info_bathroom_zones.html

The area stretching to 0.6m outside the bath or shower and above the bath or shower. An IP rating of at least IPX4 is required

Yes, I have edited again. I was concentrating on the 60cm as I had already cocked that up. ... So many mistakes in one article. ... Time for tea.
You might need two cups of tea (or maybe something stronger!) ... even with your edit, I think it's still wrong! Less than 2.25m above ffl and above a bath/shower would surely be Zone 1, not Zone 2, wouldn't it?!

Kind Regards, John

Just some random website explaining the regs hah.
As I suspected. Don't believe everything uou find on-line!
Ignoring the Zone 2 above 2.25m part is the part about zone 2 60cm from the bath correct meaning i shouldn't really have the outlet plate there?
The regulations are straightforward enough. Per 701.512.2(ii), anything electrical in Zone 1 or Zone 2 (other than a shaver supply unit) has to be at least IPX4.

Kind Regards, John

I wouldnt use a flex outlet plate. My prefered method is to run the flex from the rad through the wall through one of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXCBW.html

Then connect to an FCU etc outside the bathroom.

As TTC has suggested i would renew the flex and use a blank plate with the flex passing through to the FCU in the hall,

i.e. no connetions in the bathroom and run some silicon around the plate for good measure :)

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back