Flexible tap connectors

I can't find Water Hawk anywhere round here. B&Q and Homebase didn't stock it, which didn't honestly come as any surprise. A local DIY place doesn't have it, and I don't know of any other suppliers locally.

I'm going to do the compression joints dry and hope for the best. If there is any leakage, I'll undo them and wrap some PTFE tape around the olive.

I'm going to cut the copper pipes shorter to make more room for the flexible hoses and fit new isolation valves. I'm not going to mess about trying to remove the old olives, although I understand this is possible.

Sponsored Links
If you can't find Water Hawk then PTFE would be better than nothing, if you get a leak.

If you do compression fittings well though, they often won't leak at all, so it may turn out you don't need anything.

You can remove olives but unless you have the right tool it's a pain, if you can cut back to plain pipe then so much the easier.

Well I finally got my finger out and did the job. The worktop needed a bit of cutting out as the new sink is deeper (front to back) than the old one.

As I've never done any plumbing like this before, I was a little concerned about ending up with floods or great fountains of water. I needn't have worried. I cut the copper pipes shorter to take account of the longer flexible hoses (having turned the stopcock off) and added a pair of new isolator valves. I put them on dry, as I didn't have any sealing compound or PTFE tape, and they seem to have sealed well. Also, I risked attaching the flexible hoses direct to the isolator valves and again, probably thanks to the rubber washers, there's no leakage. If things do leak after a time, I'll have to have a rethink.

My first wife is very pleased with the appearance of the finished article and I'm equally pleased that I encountered no real problems fitting it.

I wouldn't have dared to undertake this job without the invaluable help and advice that has been offered on this forum.

Thank you gentlemen. I'm very grateful.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back