Flickering lights

JohnD said:
You should get some CFLs (Energy Saving Lamps). Apart from saving you money on electricity, they last for years and are tolerant of supply voltage fluctuations.

still this.

Sponsored Links
I would lean towards John here. ( :eek: )

Even with diversity applied, you have a load in excess of 2kW.

Either follow John's idea, or be prepared to split the existing circuit into three.

As I said I still have to put lights in my loft which will be more spot lights so I dont really want to add them to my already full up lighting circuit.

Is it possible to add them to the socket circuit with a fused spur?

Thanks.

It is possible so long as a 3A fuse is used but it isn't good practice and you are better off having the lighting circuit split (upstairs/downstairs).

Davy

Sponsored Links
There must be a reason why you don't want to fit CFLs. What is this reason?

I am thinking of doing the following then please advise if possible

Replace some of my bulbs with energy saving ones

Replace the 3 light spot in the bathroom with a standard light fitting 1 bulb

Downsize the outside lights with smaller bulbs

Put the loft lights onto the seperate loft ring main (Fused spur)

Thanks.

con1_uk said:
I am thinking of doing the following then please advise if possible

Replace some of my bulbs with energy saving ones

How many is some? With the savings made by changing it makes sense to replace ALL lamps with CFLs.

con1_uk said:
Replace the 3 light spot in the bathroom with a standard light fitting 1 bulb

There's no need to change the fitting if you replace the lamps with CFL's. That alone will drastically reduce loading on the entire circuit.

con1_uk said:
Downsize the outside lights with smaller bulbs

If they are security lights with PIR's most wont accept energy saving lamps but depending on how many you have and how many CFLs you install you might not need to bother.

con1_uk said:
Put the loft lights onto the seperate loft ring main (Fused spur)

If you reduce the circuit loading sufficiently you could easily accommodate the loft lights into your lighting circuit.

Davy

Not sure what the wattage the bulbs where for the 2 outside lights but I was thinking of putt less wattage in them both to help.

What are the implications of having too many lights on one circuit? Will it keep tripping?

All the lights wont be on at the same time (Have a word with the wife) but I need to make a calculation so I can make a decision on whether or not to fuse spur the loft lights.

It's not a problem having lots of light fittings as long as the total wattage of the lamps fitted don't exceed the MCB/fuse rating.

Diversity for lighting circuits is 66% so work out the total by adding up the wattage of every lamp and then work out 66% of that. If it is more than the fuse/MCB rating you have a problem - a problem that is easily solved by replacing as many lamps as possible with CFLs.

Davy

Thanks for your replys and patience so far.

I will add up my wattage tonight.

Thanks,
Conrad.

Sorry JohnD I missed your reply.

I will look into the CFL's but they doo seem a bit expensive. I know they will save money in the long run. I think I may replace when they go with CFL's.

On the link that was provided it said the bulb is 20mm longer than normal too.

You can buy 100/200/300W standard length linear tungs/hal tubes for floodlights.

why dont he change the floodlights to low energy ones?. i have all low energy bulbs now in house even r50 spots low energy tescos have most low enrgy bulbs half price they were bargains got candle bulbs for under 2 pound each

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back