Floating Floor Rising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help answer a question I have.

We have just had installed a floating floor using 85mm wide, pre-finished blackbutt laminated floorboards which are 19mm thick. The floorboards are not solid timber but seem to be a mix, the top layer of the board about where the tongue starts is 5 mm thick BlackButt where it is prefinished.

Our room is 5m x 5m. Around the edges where the floor has been laid there has been a gap left of about 5-10mm, however, where our veranda (patio) door is, which is almost 3.5 meters wide, no gap has been left at all, the board (length ways) is tight up against the door. The boards have been laid on 3mm underlay which is then laid directly onto concrete slab which is nice and flat. The apartment we live in is ground floor but the floor is over the garage, our balcony is 2 metres wide which then goes onto the grass area.

The problem is, I think the boards are starting to rise a little near the patio door. I am concerned that the people who laid the floor should have left a gap there for expansion. It's winter now in OZ, so a bit dryer than normal.

My question is, how much can these boards expand by and are there serious ramifications if I just left them as is and monitored them periodically for further movement or should just bite the bullet and cut the boards next to the patio door to create a 5 – 10 mm gap to reduce the pressure or will the boards stop expanding and eventually settle down?

They have been laid for about 3 weeks now.

Please advise what I should do.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
yes you always need an expansion gap would say 12mm minimum as the hump is going to close up part off the gap
as you cut along you will need to wedge somthing in half a milimeter bigger than the gap every foot or so to keep it open

out off interest is the porch off the main 5x5m area if so is there an expansion gap under door strips!!!!

ohhh and who should do the work !!!! the origional installer assuming he was a proffesional!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back