Floor box in floorboards?

You do realise interference is not the only reason for segregation of voltage bands don't you?

No, what other reason is there other than inducing unwanted voltage and current into near by data cables and the possibility of making data cables live should they accidentally come into contact with mains wiring.

Sponsored Links
Okay, thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.

BTW, I've now moved away from a floorbox idea and trying to go with the idea of wall sockets instead as recommended!

Firstly, the reason why I'm asking is I don't want to make all this effort in installing this stuff and then fail down to neglecting an important consideration.
In this case and related to HDMI instead, I personally have experienced a PC monitor constantly going black (loss of signal) due to interference (from an electric recliner I think) until I bought a better insulated cable.

Apologies for the RJ45 confusion. I was thinking of the connection port at the time but referred to it as a cable. I am planning to use Cat6 cable.

I was also planning on using 'modular face plates' with the required connection such as HDMI, RJ45 etc so 'yes' I was thinking of having these cables running up a conduit from the floor with a power cable into a 2 gang wall socket where one of the sockets (gang) will be replaced with 2 modular sockets if that makes sense. If this is possible then it will save me from having to chase into the walls to create separate boxes. I will have to anyway with some rooms such as the living room where I will have a separate 4 RJ45 port plate being fed to all the other rooms.

My feeling is that it's a 'hit and miss' where if I don't separate them completely (using separate back boxes) then the chances are slim but possible issues could arise especially as I wont' be using commercial grade cables. I think HDMI cables are more susceptible to interference from experience (albeit very little!) - never had any network cable issues myself - yet!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back