Removing wall lights and making wiring safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a lounge redecoration, I want to remove two wall lights, both of which are individually switched, and then plaster up the holes where they were.

Unfortunately I cannot get to the floorboards above them, as the bedroom above the lights has a laminated wooden floor.

Can I chase the cables back up to the coving, and terminate the cables with something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-BLACK1...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item19c93256d7, and then poke the boxes into the roof/floor void?

Many thanks

BTM

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
That, or some choc-block in a chocbox.

The important things are:

1) Not to leave the cables in the wall

2) To properly terminate them in an enclosure.

Thanks sparkwright - the switches are the integral 'pull-toggle' type. I'm going to go with the terminate in an enclosure and poke up into the ceiling space option.

Sponsored Links
Thanks sparkwright - the switches are the integral 'pull-toggle' type. I'm going to go with the terminate in an enclosure and poke up into the ceiling space option.

Ok, but do you know where the wiring comes from?

If it's a junction box under the floor above then it's probably going to have be terminated something like you suggest.

But have you checked the wiring doesn't come from a ceiling rose, a light switch or even a fused spur unit? If so you may be able to disconnect the wiring completely.

If the cables are still live you need to have the connection accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing, can't just poke them up in the ceiling.
You could consider using "Maintenance Free Junction Boxes"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back