Floor/tile/stud wall issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
en suite floor, 6x2 c24 joists, 400mm centres, loads of noggins, rock solid each end into block work, span 2.8m.
18mm ply on top, screwed down with lots of 80mm screws, with noggins along all board edges.
Tiled on top with flex adhesive and grout.
Done this before and pretty confident it’s an acceptable setup. However...
2 tiles seem to have “popped” ie you can feel a crunch when you push your foot on them and the grout is starting to crack slightly. Rest of the room rock solid with no issues.
Only possible reason I can think of, is I built a stud wall running across the joists, in the room below, AFTER tiling the floor. I reckon when I did this, I smashed the top plate tight up to the joists as I wedged the uprights in, causing the joists to lift up slightly (near mid span) which has “popped” a couple of tiles at that spot.
Feasible? It’s that only thing I can think of other than a compete design fault, so am hoping it’s just that....any thought appreciated (y)

Sponsored Links
I think your right.

If your wall is very tight to the ceiling your tiled floor might have raised slightly in the middle so when you walk accross the room it goes Soft > Hard > Soft.

Best rip it out and start again ;)

Is the 18mm the only boards down or do you have another 18mm t&g below that? Where have the tiles popped, in the centre of the room?

When i've tiled an upstairs floor before, I lay plywood boards over the existing flooring then the tiles on that.

1. It helps sturdy the floor and restricts movement .
2. If you take your tiles up in the future, you can take up the plywood if needed and the original floor is still relatively untouched.

You're probably right though, it's likely when you did the stud wall. Scrape the adhesive out, re-lay the couple that are loose and see if it happens again. The stud wall might help now to restrict movement a little.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I’m hoping it’s that too.
Chris, no floorboards, just the ply but it’s fully supported at all edges, and I reckon that should be ok from experience...

It might be your initial diagnosis or a bit of both.

If its just two tiles, rake the joints, cut them and the bed out and rebed them. If a joist is there put a few more screws in. If the borad is not flat and cant be dealt with in the base adhesive, then plane or shave it.

Worry about the rest of the floor when (if) it becomes a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back