New floor bounce

Sorry in case anyone’s still reading this, going back to what doggit was saying about staggered vs straight noggins, is straight actually stronger then? If so that’s a lesson learned for me, but can’t work out why? Any comments/opinions welcome!

Sponsored Links
It's minimal really, and maybe I'm being a bit pedantic. No issue on a wall, but it'll just give a fraction more stability on a floor, and you're after every bit of structural integrity possible. But the principle assumes that the noggins are in tight, and can't flex at all.

Straight is stronger because each is acting on the end of the next, rather than acting to twist the joists. Normally you'd offset them slightly to make them easier to fit.

Fair enough, cheers both. Might change my way of doing it going forward but I think I’ll refrain from redoing the ones already in :cool:

Sponsored Links
Actually, if you were to, you've only got to move half of them, not all.

I wouldn't worry about moving them either!
Not sure if I should mention that herring bone struts perform better. When the wood shrinks they tend to tighten, and the loads are along the straights of the grain. Also easier to take pipes through them, but more laborl and harder to use up the off cuts.

Yeah, I’ve learned that too, but think I’ll stick with the easy method if I can get away with it. I’ll think twice about smashing the odd herringbone strut out when working on older places though (not that I’ve ever done that lol)

Yeah plenty of ours had been smashed out in the last 100 years or so, I think a proportion of plumbers and electricians see structural elements as inconvenient optional items to be destroyed as needed!:LOL:

I'd make another set of noggings and double up across the middle, you could glue and screw them side on to the existing ones..

Extra noggins sorted it, feels much more solid now, cheers all

Attachments

• 175B7A1D-3249-4BB1-B120-70E1EAEF914E.jpeg
    175B7A1D-3249-4BB1-B120-70E1EAEF914E.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 95

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back