Flooring over Quarry Tiles - Options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking to update my kitchen (on a budget) but want to do something about the flooring. Its currently about 90% Quarry Tiles in a Black / Mustard colour checkboard style. It was in the house when we brought in and have never got round to changing it...until now.

Happy to look at either Laminate, Tiles, Lino/Vinyl etc but need to know about prepping the current state. The floor itself is fairly level bar the odd tile that seems slightly raised and the grouting (about 5mm) provides dips.

Would this type of floor need much treatment before laying a new one or could I just go straight over it ? Would prefer not to have to rip it up as worried about how much of a job it would be and what I could find.

Would I be best using a self levelling compound ? or would the grouting dips be unnoticeable under laminate boards / underlay and vinyl...Or do I just build up the grout ?

any advise welcome, am a bit of a DIY newbie and as stated, am trying to do it on a budget.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back