flooring

spc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick post, I always appreciate second or third opinions.

I have a 260 year old fen cottage, Clay brick, english bond, 9'' solid walls and a lime screed. I was planning on flattening the cottage and replacing with an identical cottage, single story link to a new mock barn conversion.

The planners have dug their heels in and I now have to retain the cottage.

The limecrete floor has in the past has had a cementitious layer put on top, this has caused raising and efflorescence coming through the floor. My initial reaction was to dig out the floor, instal a dpm, insulate concrete and screed but this in turn will have an adverse affect on an already fragile structure(no foundations)

there is a 1960's addition to the rear of the cottage which has a step up of around 80mm from the cottage floor.

this is what i propose, bitumen the floor float a timber floor up to the extension level, Stud out from the wall 25mm and use 75 mm timbers in the stud frame so i can get celotex between the stud, vapour barrier (condenstation) and plasterboard. I need to retain heat in this old beast.

I understand that sealing the floor with bitumen will push the moisture out towards the walls, but as long as i keep the wall stud away and haveno bridging fixtrures into the wall io cant see it being a problem.

I welcome other alternatives but time is against me as i need to get the cottage habitable while i have the link and barn built.

Many thanks, J

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back