flour.tube batten 2way+interm. in plastic cond.-how to wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wiring.jpg

I have a test on this coming up, but im a little confused on the exact wiring of such an installation. Fundamentals and a circuit diagram I am ok on, but the wiring of it confuses me.

To reiterate:

Twin and earth and 4-core
6A MCB
flourecsent batten
plastic conduit
2x2-way switches and intermediate
NO!! chocoblocks/ junction boxes. Runs in the ceiling void.

A wiring diagram would be much appreciated, kind sirs/ ladies.

Sponsored Links
wiring2.jpg

I know this would normally be the correct way to wire it but im running in voids+plastic conduit- not metal conduit!! so would it be acceptable stripping the sheath to leave singles partially run in the voids or do i need to wire it some other way?

ta

if its not 100% conduit then i'd suggest using 3+E cable between the switches and at the intermediates joining the core that doesn't connect to the switch with chock block or not cutting it at all (this can be tricky though)

Its the roughest diagram I've ever done, but what do you expect at this time of night? :LOL:

wiring1a.jpg

Earths omitted for clarity.

Sponsored Links
here, RF i've tidied it up for you . . . . (different cores used, but same wiring) (no offence)

wiring8dc.jpg

jc808 said:
wiring.jpg

I have a test on this coming up, but im a little confused on the exact wiring of such an installation. Fundamentals and a circuit diagram I am ok on, but the wiring of it confuses me.

To reiterate:

Twin and earth and 4-core
6A MCB
flourecsent batten
plastic conduit
2x2-way switches and intermediate
NO!! chocoblocks/ junction boxes. Runs in the ceiling void.

A wiring diagram would be much appreciated, kind sirs/ ladies.

is this for a 2360/2330 assignment by any chance?

yip. 2330 parts 1+2 2-year 3eve-per-week course electrotechnical installation

everything else i have almost perfect, i just get very confused with the switch wiring with 2-way/ intermediate.

i failed the test today, pulled up about sloppy termination (fair enough) lack of confidence on testing (damn you oh unfamilar testers) and i cocked up the light wiring. circuit diagram i know inside out

actal wiring of it, however...

i get another shot soon, all those errs ill take on board

How exactly you do it will surely depend on the physical layout of the accessories.... without that, best we can give you is a (or many) random way(s) of doing it which may or may not be ecconomical in terms of cable and conduit and may or may not be tidy when installed in your real situation

im running in plastic conduit from the plastic switches/boxes up to the roof void. 2 switches and a ccu on one wall (paint/plaster on brick) and third switch on another (plasterboard hollow) wall

switches are about a meter apart

in the roof void im clipping cables to joists.

your best bet is to wire the lot in singles.

take a phase wire from the CU to the first switch

then take 2 phase wires from the 2 way to the inter switch (L1 & L1)

take 2 phase wires out of the inter switch (L2 L2) to the second 2 way switch

take a phase wire from the second 2 way switch to the light

take a neutral wire from the light back to the CU

Dont forget to run your cpc as well. take it to the switch facia first (im presuming your using metal clad switches?) then make an earth link between the facia and the back box.

in all honesty though. you shouldnt really need to ask such a question. if this is your final project for 2330/2 you should, at this stage, have the know how to be able to complete the install and the testing.

Not sure I like that way, bright_spark, no idea if there is a reg to the effect anywhere, but I certainly believe it to be nicer to have the total current in a cable/conduit summing to zero, keeps interference down that way :) , of course if you were using metal conduit or entering metal boxes it would be even more important that the current summed to zero...

Britht spark has described the recognised method of wiring the circuit in singles. Adam, what did you mean when you mentioned summing the current down to zero? Not come across that phrase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back