Flow and return..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there new to the forum. I did go though the first page to see if my question has been covered, but was certainly not going to go through all 1700 pages to check :eek:

My question is regarding how to determain the flow and return on a radiator.
I need to replace a TRV on a second floor radiator in a tower block.

Sponsored Links
assuming you can isolate the supply :?: then most modern TRVs can be fit on either flow or return.

Turn on the heating and the pipe which gets hot first is the flow!

Tony

assuming you can isolate the supply :?: then most modern TRVs can be fit on either flow or return.

Thanks, not sure about an isolation valve, might have to use a pipe freezer.
The TRV I got is one directional, hence this post.

Sponsored Links

Thanks, not sure about an isolation valve, might have to use a pipe freezer.
The TRV I got is one directional, hence this post.

With the upmost respect, if your are struggling to find out which of the pipes is the flow, freezing pipe-work on the second floor of a tower block might not be the best idea you have every had. At least there is only one or two flats below you that you could possibly flood.

But if I can find out which is which before freezing, then feezing would be fine right? :eek:

Dread Naught by name, Dread Naught by nature...... (now which classic film inspired to pick that username?)

As said, if you're gonna change a TRV, then get a 'bi-directional' one, they are only a tenner.

As for freezing the pipe, is it copper, stainless or black-iron?. This does not sound like a job for the faint-hearted, if there is any trace of movement in the waterin the pipework as you start, your Q&B disposable kit does not stand an earthly, even most 'pro' CarbonDioxide canisters may struggle and you do only get minutes to weave your magic, so you have to be prepped up and ready to react. With the cost of hiring in an electric kit you would be advised to seek professional advice, complete with liability insurance should the worst happen - and it does.

Get a pro in.

DH

A-ha. I was going to use an Freeze-Master Electric freezer...
And the pipe is 15mm copper.

But I think Ill change the One-way TRV for a "Bi" it certainly seems to solve 50% of the issue.

Clearly my previous post was invisible.

Odd that I can see it though.

I must have some special glasses!

X-ray-glasses.jpg

Turn on the heating and the pipe which gets hot first is the flow!

Tony

Not always the case. ;)

Oi! No hogging my post! :LOL:

Ok, Freeze Master, 15mm copper pipe and two-way TRV.
Will this work or can I expect an issues?

Thing is, you see. I am a Plumber, but as Im from South Africa and central heating comes with the weather. Its not something Ive worked with much. But, ney, Ive got the basics, tbf

Should work fine if you use an elecric pipefreezer and proove the ice plugs have formed safely by means of the rad air vent before opening anything up then the worst thing that can happen is the rad emptys its load.
QUick work and a few towels should sort that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back