Flue fan stops after 30 secs on my Gas fire, Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems getting my Kensal Flame gas fire repaired.

I have had two gas engineers look at it, one a family friend but to date with no success.

Try to keep it short but this is what has happened.

When pressing the on button to turn on the flue fan the house sockets would trip out in the main fuse board. An engineer was called and he said it required a new fan drive unit, (a unit that fits on the end of the fan shaft which when powered rotates the fan)

This was order and fitted, the fan would then power up but the fire would not light (no gas was being let through)

More parts were ordered, being a Solenoid valve and a pressure switch.

These have now been fitted and what I have now is a fire that works for about 30 secs. The fan starts when pressed, the ignition process starts as it should, the fire fires up - lovely warmth at last, then after about 30 secs the fan is heard to power down then the fire cuts out which it is presumably doing because it has detected the flue fan has stopped.

Any ideas?

PS the fire is about 6 years old and was fiited as standard to out Bovis house which was a new build at the time. Fire model is a Kensal Flame Premier and is made by Gazco

Thanks

Kovo

Sponsored Links
I cant find any info about it Here
So generally speaking I would be looking at flame sensing and pilot, flue sensing [air pressure switch] and then PCB.
With any luck and it sounds like you need some; it could be something as simple as blowing some dirt from the pilot burner area.

I'd look at the same stuff as Slug... But to be honest a broken gas fire is saving you money

The British are pretty unique in so far as they will pay to run a device that burns expensive fuel and then pumps nearly all of the produced heat out side... Rip it out, brick up the hole and stick a nice big TV on the wall in its place... Even when the fire is not working warm air from your room is flowing outside through the flue

The British are pretty unique in so far as they will pay to run a device that burns expensive fuel and then pumps nearly all of the produced heat out side... Rip it out, brick up the hole and stick a nice big TV on the wall in its place... Even when the fire is not working warm air from your room is flowing outside through the flue

Bricking it up and a nice plasma has certainly crossed my mind ! You can feel the draft cutting across the floor on its way out of the flue. The draft was something I thought I had left behind in my old house when I bought this one new, ah well.

Looking at the invoice I can see the pilot unit was also replace and the unit all cleaned / adjusted etc so I don't think it is soot related. Checking the manual I have found a paragraph which describes my symptoms with the fan going off after approx 1 min and it says check flue for blockages which I have done and its clear and then "check for continuity across the thermal cut-out sensor and replace if neccesary" I have checked this and there is continuity accross the thermal sensor but does this mean it is faulty or not? Replace if there is or there is not continuity?

So far I have spent 250 - 300 on parts and labour so feel reluctant to give up now and brick it up.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Enjoy your draught! :LOL:

Another thing that puzzles me is the British fetish for spending a small fortune on a nicely sealed PVC front door... Only to cut a blooming huge hole in it so that the postman can post letters.... And they say that the Europeans are weird.. :LOL:

Or even worse cut a big hole in same door so an animal can get in easy so it can sh#te in a tray in the corner of the kitchen.
You wouldnt let a dog sh#t in a house why do people allow a cat and before you cat lovers say it doesnt smell ,you wanna bet

Kovo

I know it was a long time ago but did you get a solution to your gas fire cutting out and tripping electrics in your house, i only ask because i am now experiencing the same problem.

Or even worse cut a big hole in same door so an animal can get in easy so it can sh#te in a tray in the corner of the kitchen.
You wouldnt let a dog sh#t in a house why do people allow a cat and before you cat lovers say it doesnt smell ,you wanna bet
Not keen on cats then? Join the club :mrgreen:

I am having problems getting my Kensal Flame gas fire repaired.

I have had two gas engineers look at it, one a family friend but to date with no success.

Try to keep it short but this is what has happened.

When pressing the on button to turn on the flue fan the house sockets would trip out in the main fuse board. An engineer was called and he said it required a new fan drive unit, (a unit that fits on the end of the fan shaft which when powered rotates the fan)

This was order and fitted, the fan would then power up but the fire would not light (no gas was being let through)

More parts were ordered, being a Solenoid valve and a pressure switch.

These have now been fitted and what I have now is a fire that works for about 30 secs. The fan starts when pressed, the ignition process starts as it should, the fire fires up - lovely warmth at last, then after about 30 secs the fan is heard to power down then the fire cuts out which it is presumably doing because it has detected the flue fan has stopped.

Any ideas?

PS the fire is about 6 years old and was fiited as standard to out Bovis house which was a new build at the time. Fire model is a Kensal Flame Premier and is made by Gazco

Thanks

Kovo

Kovo did you find a solution to this issue, I am now having the same issue?

Thanks

You replied to a four year old thread and 45 years followed you!

We dont give detailed advice on gas/combustion faults which would aid a DIYer to do his own repairs as they need a professional for safety reasons.

Tony

Agile";p="2536015 said:
You replied to a four year old thread and 45 years followed you!
Agile";p="2536015 said:
he knows and acknowledged that!

We dont give detailed advice on gas/combustion faults which would aid a DIYer to do his own repairs as they need a professional for safety reasons.

He was asking the OP (probably in vain!) if he found a solution - he didn't ask for tec advice

Thanks Fireman for clearing up my point.

You are quite right i didnt ask for any technical advice just an overall outcome.

I realise that it was a long shot but you never know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back