Flue fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
My boiler has tonight developed a squeal and the heat has cut out. On investigation the noise is coming from the fan on top of the boiler supplying the flue so I suppose the boiler has cut out as adequate air flow is not being maintained. So first of all, as an unqualified competent diyer can I legally change the unit, secondly how hard is it...it looks fairly easy, and thirdly where do I get a replacement unit? Thanks in advance. Argentum

Sponsored Links
The fan forms part of the flue system and it is therefore a safety critical part of the system. There are those that will argue that you are allowed to do it yourself but you won't (or shouldn't) get advice on how to from anyone qualified as its against forum rules. Call a gas safe registered RGI and get it done professionally.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan
I suppose that was my question. I am competent in a number of areas, I an confident I can undertake the mechanical aspects and the electrical aspects but didn't know if there were regulations/checks that needed adhering to. I'm asking a question not challenging the regulations.

So, accepting that I will not replace it myself, is there anything I can do to get my heating on temporarily tonight? I have read elsewhere about spraying WD40. Is this a good idea just to get the thing working?

Well considering bearings need greasing and wd40 is a degrease, no. Plus,wd 40 is flammable.

Surely you can cope for a day without heating and hot water?

So, accepting that I will not replace it myself, is there anything I can do to get my heating on temporarily tonight? I have read elsewhere about spraying WD40. Is this a good idea just to get the thing working?
No. You shouldn't even be taking off the casing to the point where you can see the fan - some boilers become extremely dangerous once the case seals are disturbed and need careful inspection and testing by a person experienced with working on them prior to use once the casing has been removed.

I can see I'm not going to get any help here. I'm not fiddling, I'm asking questions before I fiddle, or don't fiddle as it may be; surely this is the best thing to do before jumping straight in. The responses I'm getting are at best sarcastic and certainly not helpful, very different from the other forums I have experienced. If this is the way some of you talk to your customers it's no wonder they don't want to engage with you and try to do things themselves.

I can see I'm not going to get any help here. I'm not fiddling, I'm asking questions before I fiddle, or don't fiddle as it may be; surely this is the best thing to do before jumping straight in. The responses I'm getting are at best sarcastic and certainly not helpful, very different from the other forums I have experienced. If this is the way some of you talk to your customers it's no wonder they don't want to engage with you and try to do things themselves.

How was my response unhelpful? I gave you advice that would prevent you creating a potentially dangerous situation. Forum rules prohibit giving advice on gas-safety related issues other than to call a pro in, and removing the case of an old boiler is very much gas safety related as failing to refit it and test it correctly could kill you

People always seem to be unhappy when they don't get the replies they hope to hear.

Anyone posting on a forum is deemed to have read the rules and agreed to abide by them.

They very clearly say that we should not give advice on gas safety matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back