Flue Fumes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant something-or-other LPG boiler. It is part of a sealed system (where you top it up through a filling loop), with no other model names or numbers on it, but it must be at least middle-aged as all of the service numbers on the sticker inside are before the '01' dialling code change. The flue comes straight out of the wall, to the right of the boiler, which is also next to the back door.

All is well normally, but on still-air days, fumes tends to float back in and make the ktichen smell. I would like to just have something to carry the fumes a bit higher up, but have been told by a British Gas engineer that there is nothing that can be done about it, as it needs an open-flue.

Is this true, or does he speak with forked tongue ? If I can do something about it, then what ?

Sponsored Links
is the boiler one of these

101_picture81621509.jpg

No - its about half that height. Two doors - Top door has the boiler bit, bottom smaller door has the controls - Temperature Knob, Pressure Gauge, Temperature Gauge, On/Off, Flame Failure Warning Light and Reset Button.

Looks kind-of like an old-fashioned version of this...

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/vaillant_turbomax.htm

bt no guarantees.

Sponsored Links
Is VCGB 282 EH meaningful in this context ?? Found it on some paperwork.....

Kevplumb wrote
you can extend the flue and reposition it
To be more precise, you can't do this yourself, only a Corgi reg. engineer can. There are limits on what can be done with the flue in terms of length, number of bends, falls, etc. which must be observed.

The newer Vaillant flue pipe can be used with your type of boiler, but you will need an adaptor since the flue/air duct sizes are slightly different.

The flue comes straight out of the wall, to the right of the boiler, which is also next to the back door.
All is well normally, but on still-air days, fumes tends to float back in and make the ktichen smell. I would like to just have something to carry the fumes a bit higher up

By what you're saying, you're looking at extending the flue outside of the property, elbow and then vertical piece to discharge POC's higher up, I'm afraid you can't do this. You can't alter the flue direction outside of the property (in this situation), and you'd need a vertical flue kit to have flue pipe running vertically, which in your circumstance would exceed the maximum equivalent flue length (assuming two storey property). Sorry, but either shut the back door, or get a Glade Plug in air freshener.

twas meant in the context of the flue could be repositioned internally and brought out in a different locatation

not run up the wall

Either way, if you can smell fumes that bad, the boiler needs a service. Standard flue gas analysis check would probally tell this bod that its burning a little poor and the boiler needs a check. If it does smell, then there must be fairly high CO levels, as Carbon Dioxide has no smell unless it comes out of ones rectum after a few lagers and a curry. the only time I've known fumes to smell is when there's either CO present, or on initial light up.

CO doesn't smell, that's its problem. CO2 doesn't burn, unlike gases from bottoms.

bradleybear said:
The flue comes straight out of the wall, to the right of the boiler, which is also next to the back door.
All is well normally, but on still-air days, fumes tends to float back in and make the ktichen smell. I would like to just have something to carry the fumes a bit higher up

By what you're saying, you're looking at extending the flue outside of the property, elbow and then vertical piece to discharge POC's higher up, I'm afraid you can't do this. You can't alter the flue direction outside of the property (in this situation), and you'd need a vertical flue kit to have flue pipe running vertically, which in your circumstance would exceed the maximum equivalent flue length (assuming two storey property). Sorry, but either shut the back door, or get a Glade Plug in air freshener.

Bah ! BradleyBear's take on it is exactly what I was hoping to do. Ho Hum......

It is covered by the British Gas 3-Star cover and they came and carried out the annual safety check on Monday (which is when the question of extending the flue came up). So if the fumes smell, is that definitely an indicator that something's up - Its an LPG boiler, and the fumes smell a bit like a camping stove....

I've never come across boiler fumes which didn't smell like........boiler fumes!

Now you've said it's LPG, thats why it stinks. Nothing you can do I'm afraid. LPG is a 'dirty' burning gas generally anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back