Flue pipe in loft - yet loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure if this is in correct forum or not.
Having my loft converted - have a gas fire in the lounge which I believe has something called a slimline pre-cast flue ( or similar ?)
The gas goes up the skin of the house , then in through a pipe about 9 inches wide in the loft , and out through the ridge of the loft.

To get the steels in , the pipe was taken off ( we have not used fire obviously ) so at the mo , the gas would just go straight into the loft.
I do not want the pipe to go back exactly where it was because it would cut down on the under-eaves storage that we require for wardrobes.

But not sure where the pipe could go - if it went straight up from where it comes into the loft , it hits the slope of the roof only about 3 foot from the floor ( and hence use much shorter pipe) ( as near to the back of the house) rather than going out at its previous position at the ridge. Is this OK ? Would save using up that valuable under eaves bit where old pipe currently went.

To confuse matters , we are having dormers - these start about 70 cms from gable end ( about 40 cm from internal wall) and so the gas would be coming out pretty near to the new dormer walls if did as above . Even if did as previous , the dormers go pretty much the whole height of the roof , so even going out at ridge , is still pretty near dormer roof/ wall.
Can I angle the pipe at its exit point so it blows awat from the house ( and hence away from the dormer) . Are there any rules that the exit point has to be x-distance away from dormer window ?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
There's lots of regs, including one that says you must be competent or get an rgi to sort it.

Approved document J if you do a google will give you all the information you need.

Normally the discharge point would need to be a considerable distance away from the window like 1200 mm or more and be higher then the window and probably as high or higher than the ridge.

Even within any minimum spacing its only acceptable if the products of combustion do not enter the window when open. That can depend on wind direction, slope and height of roof etc.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back