flue termination for condensing boilers!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right maybe its just me being thick, but im comfused about a few items with siting flues for condensing boilers,
Been out to quote for a job this evening. The ideal site has been found for boiler ie gas meter 3 ft from boiler location, 5ft from a drain and all old pipework in same pantry.
However the flue!! I said it would have to go through the roof of the bungalow as if it was horizontal then it would plume across a shared pathway between his and next doors bungalow. The path is approx 4ft wide.2ft to the boundary(1200mm and 600mm for the younger ones)
He said the other guys who have been out to quote for the job have not even mentioned this problem and were going to horizontally flue the boiler.

I have checked manufacturers instructions on a couple of boliers and they give same clearance for boundaries as for non condensing boilers ie 600mm.(hope im not losing anyone)

Then in the instructions it mentions that these distances may have to be changed depending on site conditions, great or wot.

Then you read the new ODPM statment thingymebob and it states 2.5 metres etc etc etc. Does manufactures instructions overule ODPM or vice versa.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Does anyone have any better ideas or am i better sticking with the vertical flue???
many many thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
I personally always try and flue vertically, it saves any issues with the plume, even though you try and explain about the plume the customer never really knows what to expect untill it's too late, when you have run the flue horizontally, stick it through the roof, I think it will save you any come backs.

95% of my flues go vertical,just want to avoid problems

I'm not a corgi gas fitter but I understand any flue should terminate more than 300m from the eaves, the reason being condensation could cause rot. I'm sure I have read somewhere that for a condensing boiler this should be 1m (1000mm).

Any how this document
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_037022.pdf
suggests that for condensing boilers the terminal should be no less than 2.5m from the boundary.

Sponsored Links
I have checked manufacturers instructions on a couple of boliers and they give same clearance for boundaries as for non condensing boilers ie 600mm.(hope im not losing anyone)

Then in the instructions it mentions that these distances may have to be changed depending on site conditions, great or wot.

Then you read the new ODPM statment thingymebob and it states 2.5 metres etc etc etc. Does manufactures instructions overule ODPM or vice versa.
I've found the part that clarifies it in that link you gave brumylad

• • For the purposes of the Condensing Boiler Installation Assessment Procedure ONLY, more stringent requirements apply (given below) to reduce the possibility of nuisance to neighbouring buildings.

page 10 of your link

So 600 recommendation still applies, and as in the last case I had it can be even closer so long as you fit a 1m deflector plate according to the MI's.
2.5 applies only to S.A.P.

Generally speaking MI's usually over-rule odpm stuff as there are often references to this in odpm literature. There's bound to be an exception somewhere so if in doubt check up on it

An easy option is to flue horizontally and then fit a vertical flue termination kit. Take it above the eaves if you want. Much easier than going through the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back