Flushed and now only one rad works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last week I treated my noisy CH system with Fernox - it worked great, all the noises have gone. However, I flushed out the cleaner and put in the protector today. Now only one radiator works!

I have bled the pump a number of times - very little air comes out, if it is even air and now just the noise of the water spurting out.

I have isolated various radiators to try and flush air through.

I have re-bled the radiators - not that any of them needed it.

My best theory at the moment is that I have flushed some sludge into the main pipe from the pump to the radiators or the return pipe (the only radiator that works is on a branch 3" from the pump.

What can I do to fix it? I am going to reflush it again tomorrow, once the wife has gone to work.

thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
and having dropped the buiscit in my cup i cant read the tealeaves
add to that the dog has just p**d up my crystal ball

THE SYSTEM IS ??????????

you could try putting some stuff in the pipes to help brake stuff down.. but pipes might leak

Wow that was quick Kev - are you jacked into this site 24x7?

System is a Baxi Bermuda

HW is gravity and is fine

CH is pumped on the hot side

no sign of a electric valve (no wires going under the floor)

Sponsored Links
nicon too! on valentines night. You guys are dedicated.

I just used the Fernox restorer to descale and nuke the sludge.

When I flushed today the water was very yellow - indicating that the restorer had been working well... (i think)

the pump is running, vibrating and making a noise

the feed to the pump is very hot, the feed away from the pump it quite hot too.

the pump is making a slight noise like a mains drill being pushed repetivitly. Could the impellor be disconnected? what does that sound like and what are the symptoms?

tnx

Thanks Kev

Ill give that a go. I'll try isolating a radiator at a time

if it is air - where will it go?

Ive run the pump at full tilt for an hour and a half switching off the radiators as they got hot.

However I think there is somthing wrong with the circulation - when I switched the radiators back on they took 5minutes to become luke warm.

Could there be sludge in the pipes blocking the flow of the pump - would the pump make a hell of a noise if it was blocked?

I'll try flushing it again tomorrow and see if i can dislodge whatever is causeing the problem.

thanks for your help

Rich

you guys are masters.

This morning at 6:30 the CH system sounded like a person with a serious stomach problem. Gurgling and air from all sides.

All rads and HW fine.

Special thanks to Kev

Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back