Flushing the heating system on Grant Combi 90

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is an extension to a previous post, which thankfully you guys have helped me work out what was faulty with the boiler. When this is fixed I would like to do a chemical flush..

I can't find any drain points on any of the rads. So I have the feed and exit on the combi via the chrome flexi pipe for topping the pressure and there is a drain point at the bottom of the boiler.

Can someone do a walk through with me as I have never done a flush/drain/topup system before! i have read the FAQ but I don't seem to be able to make sense of it!

I was going to get that fernox stuff to flush it via the mastic gun, and then the inhibitor after the flush is complete.

Thanks and sorry for being dumb!

Lee.

Sponsored Links
AND I MEAN NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!

How much cr@p is in the system when you remove a radiator?

hehe

not much, seems pretty clear but this is only from the bleed valve, as I have not taken any rads off the wall yet. I have been topping up the system for quite a while and I know the previous owner was topping it up every month or so, so I reckon it could be pretty manky in there! As I said in a previous post, I am almost topping it up every day due to a faulty expansion vessel which I will be fixing at the weekend.

I will just flush with clean water I think then put inhibitor in throught the bleed valve on one of the rads. I just need to know what I need to do. Where can I drain it from, how do it fill the rads again, etc? it's probably one of those things that once you've done it, it's easy, but I can't figure it out at the mo. I read the faq about doing each individual rad 1 at a time, but I don't know how to do this in terms of where do I drain it from. Surely I don't have to take each rad off one at a time? Do I have to take any of the rads off?

Thanks and again sorry for playing dumb! I just need someone to walk me thru this one!

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help me?! i am gonna do it this weekend. We currently have no heating in this cold snap! Had the fire on last night, but that only heats the one room!

I fear if i can't flush the system, I will end up just replacing the expansion vessel and just putting the inhibitor in. I would much prefer to do a flush.

Hope u guys can help me out,

thanks.,

ya do no its a fair bit of messin about flushin a system? if its on a combi it shouldnt be that bad, do ya no that it deff needs flushin? if i wa you id prob pump up ya exspansion vessel replace the prv and add a bottle of inhibitor

ya do no its a fair bit of messin about flushin a system? if its on a combi it shouldnt be that bad, do ya no that it deff needs flushin? if i wa you id prob pump up ya exspansion vessel replace the prv and add a bottle of inhibitor

Is tha sure thy int frompt Barnsley ?? :LOL:

If you want to do it properly, close both ends of a radiator valves downstairs.
Get a container and place it under one of the rad valves then loosen rad collar nut slowly, water will start to trickle from rad, open rad vent to raise the flow of water, this will eventually empty radiator but not the water in system, when rad empty undo both colar nuts at each end of rad now lift rad off the wall, make sure you have a sheet under rad there will be sludge at the bottom of rad, empty whats left in the rad into bucket. when this is done post to say for next step(s)

easyflow, that sounds like a lot of work! I have 15 rads in this house! Is there not an easier way to do it?!

Talking of 14 rads, should I have 2 lots of inhibitor as they say that 1 is enough for 10 rads?

Cheers

easyflow, that sounds like a lot of work! I have 15 rads in this house! Is there not an easier way to do it?!

Talking of 14 rads, should I have 2 lots of inhibitor as they say that 1 is enough for 10 rads?

Cheers

If you think that is a lot of work, I would suggest paying someone if you decide a flush is necessary! :LOL:

No just one rad, if you do it the way I tell you you will be able to flush the system when you like...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back