Flushing the heating system on Grant Combi 90

Sponsored Links
YES!
You can then gauge how much sh$te is in the system and also use it as a temp expansion vessel !

Does it matter what rad I do downstairs? One nearest the boiler or not? Also, I want to remove one of the rads upstairs as there is old wallpaper and paint behind it while it's off. I can do that one when I do the one downstairs?

Cheers

Make sure boiler is off, then use one of the rad valves as a tap to drain system, whilst draining open a rad vent upstairs to assist in draining,
When system empty fit a 15mm compression drain cock into one of the 15mm pipes (compression will be best) replace rad and tighten rad valves back onto rad, dont forget to do up vents (bleed valves).
Place a hose on your new drain cock with the hose goin outside and open tap on filler loop with drain cock open, this will run mains water through system. when all flushed and clean turn off filler loop tap let it drain, go upstairs and inject inject inhibitor into rad upstairs fill system 1 to 1.5 bar vent air out of system check pressure is correct and job done, be sure to keep an eye on pressure when flushing incase it creeps up too high. After you v done that you can drain system when ever you like.

Sponsored Links
Does it matter what rad I do downstairs? One nearest the boiler or not? Also, I want to remove one of the rads upstairs as there is old wallpaper and paint behind it while it's off. I can do that one when I do the one downstairs?

Cheers
Dont matter but one near an outside would be good.

Make sure boiler is off, then use one of the rad valves as a tap to drain system, whilst draining open a rad vent upstairs to assist in draining,
When system empty fit a 15mm compression drain cock into one of the 15mm pipes (compression will be best) replace rad and tighten rad valves back onto rad, dont forget to do up vents (bleed valves).
Place a hose on your new drain cock with the hose goin outside and open tap on filler loop with drain cock open, this will run mains water through system. when all flushed and clean turn off filler loop tap let it drain, go upstairs and inject inject inhibitor into rad upstairs fill system 1 to 1.5 bar vent air out of system check pressure is correct and job done, be sure to keep an eye on pressure when flushing incase it creeps up too high. After you v done that you can drain system when ever you like.

What absolute rubbish I have never heard such a load of bo$$ocks in all my life!!
I hope for your customers sake that you are not an installer!!

Cheers
Again do this while system is drained down, take rad off wall make sure rad valves are closed, if theres a trv, use proper cap to close valve.

OK, that's great. Think I understand!

I have never bought plumbing parts before. What do I need to ask for at the DIY shop then? I have an old bit of hose, how do I attach that to the fitting on the rad? You couldn't send me a link to what it looks like on screwfix or something could you?

I owe u one, if u need your PC fixing, I'm yer man!

1 drain cock compression
push hose onto drain cock, you may need a jubilee clip to secure hose.
junior hack saw to cut copper pipe, unless youv got pipe slice.
File to debure pipe, jointing compound (boss white)
Adjustable spanner. and thats it.
If you get stuck terrywookfit will guide you in :!:

So let me get this right, I am screwing the drain cock to the valve where the rad has been removed (does it matter which side I screw it onto). Where does the copper pipe come in?

Maybe I need to go on a plumbing course?!

I had that coming I suppose!

I just want to be prepared for the job! I am normally quite good at learning new stuff like this, maybe I sound a bit thick this time round?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back