Flushpipe Connector Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody,

I am losing the will to live here and I hope you guys can help.

I am 'renovating' a toilet at home. It is old-fashioned in look, but not actually very old, maybe 12-15 years. It is a high level cistern coming down a nice chrome 35mm flushpipe into the back of the bowl.

I have replaced all of the internal cistern parts without any problem, but when it comes to the flushpipe connector (although I have also seen it called a flush cone) I am having all sorts of problems.

It has an external connector on at the moment and I have had to wrap a zip tie around the external diameter as the water pressure was forcing itself around the back and blowing the connector off.

The problem is that the dimensions of the spigot (?) on the pan are too big for the modern connectors. All of the connectors I can find have a diameter to fit a spigot of 65mm, my spigot is 75mm OD.

Is there anywhere I can source a flushpipe connector to fit a 35mm downpipe and a pan spigot of 75mm OD?

Or... Do I put all my trust in a good quality internal connector and hope that the water pressure doesn't force it out every time the chain is pulled?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Nigel

Sponsored Links
Thanks...

I have tried an external flush cone, all the ones I can find are too small.

I ordered what was called a double seal external flushpipe connector online having spoken to the supplier before I ordered it I was assured it was 75mm Dia - it arrived today and... it is the same as the standard one. Disappointed!

I have Googled Double Seal External Flush Cone and everything seems to be just the standard animal - any clues where I might go for something that might fit?

For something that costs significantly less than a fiver, this is turning in to a right pain!

Fitting a double external flush cone can be a bit of a struggle - to the point where you might well be convinced it's too small!

The fitting is easier if you fold the external rubber back on itself, insert the cone & flush-pipe into the pan and then roll the external seal onto the back of the pan - don't use any lubricant.

It can be a real battle but once it's on, it's on!

Sponsored Links
IF you're stuck then send me a PM with your approx location in Hampshire - nearest town

I was wondering if that might be the case, but it seems to me that the cone is so stiff it just isn't going to expand enough, and there is a lip on the end of the spigot making it even bigger!! I will give it a go.

I will have to take the old one off really carefully, I have a feeing I will be re-using it!

Is it a definite no no to be using an internal cone with a high level cistern, or are there any that will work without firing out of the hole every time the chain is pulled??

Stick with it - try putting the new cone into hot water to make it a little more pliable.

An internal flush cone will always blow out of the pan with a high-level cistern

Would a Grohe cone do the trick?
Could you add a Munson ring to the vertical flush pipe to stop it popping out?

That is certainly a thought, and I was wondering about some way of stopping an internal cone from popping out.

I am trying to find somewhere that has the spec for a Grohe cone, I will have a read.

Thanks.

That must be some powerful flush, just what I need to remove pebbledash from the pan....

Or is the down-pipe perhaps pushed so far into the pan spigot that it's open end is obstructed by the porcelain and hence experiencing excessive back-pressure.

Just to clarify...

As you rightly point out the down pipe is firmly fixed and isn't moving at all. It is the seal on the existing external flush connector that is failing. Without a zip tie around it, every time there is a flush it gradually eases off the spigot until finally it pushes it off completely with the inevitable consequences.

I am going to ease the old rubber off so that if the new one is too tight I can re-use it and replace the zip tie accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back