Old flushpipe to new toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my downstairs loo, new basin, tap, toilet and tiles, and I'm very proud of it all, however I have fallen at the last hurdle.

When connecting the pan, the flushpipe leaks. The problem seems to be that the old concealed cistern has a flushpipe which is 38mm OD whereas new flushpipes and my new swanky toilet seem to need a 40mm OD flush pipe.

I've tried two different flush cones, one rubber (fits well in the loo) and one PVC (just keeps popping out no matter how far in I manage to push it.)

I've also tried plumbers mait but it STILL leaks when I flush.

Is there any way of connecting the 38 to the 40mm? I'm happy to use solvent, as I have some. I need to know if there's any tricks of the trade before I call a plumber out.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Is there any way of connecting the 38 to the 40mm? I'm happy to use solvent, as I have some. I need to know if there's any tricks of the trade before I call a plumber out.

Thanks all.
Heat from a heatgun or Very Gently from a blowlamp on the 40mm to form a socket by pushing in the 38mm let cool remove and solvent weld :idea:

Thanks all.
Heat from a heatgun or Very Gently from a blowlamp on the 40mm to form a socket by pushing in the 38mm let cool remove and solvent weld :idea:

Can you solvent weld a flush pipe? Wrong material surely. Not being argumentative - serious question.

Sponsored Links
If the flush pipe is not absolutely square as it goes into the pan, it will tend to leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back