Fly Tipper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago I drove down a country lane @ about midnight and threw a van load of plumbing/ building rubbish in a large concreted area off the side of the road - old bath basin bog rubble etc. Drove home . Why haven`t I been prosecuted :confused: ...... Because it was in 1975 and that`s what you did outside the tip- there was no notice to tell you not to - no cctv cameras - no monkeys in Hi-Vis with clipboards . Each day the power shovel just ran round that concrete area and carried the stuff into the depot. And guess what - There was No Other fly tipping along the 5 miles or so of lanes to home :rolleyes: Is it too simple to abolish Waste transfer bollix and let anyone use a tip for FREE. For Anything . in any ( reasonably sized) vehicle :?:

Sponsored Links
They've just shut our local transfer station so no-doubt fly tipping will escalate.

They'll spend more on cleaning it up than they did on the transfer station.

Shocker! I watched a programme about fly tippers the other day, and someone a few roads down flytipped. The council were investigating and saw the car parked up across the road..Why would you fly tip? If you lived right there?

I used to be sub-contracted to the council, and drove a council liveried van, and was tipping my own waste one time, at the dump, and got pulled up, you are tipping illegally, no I'm doing a foreigner..it's my own waste..

Fly tippers are scum.

Sponsored Links
To get into my local tip they have set the height barriers that low you have to be a limbo dancer to get in.

Our local tip has a maximum of four bags of plasterboard, per car per year! (and you don't get a lot of plaster board into a black bin liner before it tears open when you lift it!)
They don't specify the size of the bags but you do have to lift it up to get it into a small trap door (about 500mm X 500mm) at chest height and empty the bags!

Yeah- evil stuff that Gypsum :rolleyes: I heard political prisoners were sent to work in the mines @ Mountfield

The last time I went to the dump, (years ago) I was told by the Idiot on the gate that I cannot bring in a timber fence as it was trade waste. (I had driven there in the car) I told them that it was my fence, they then told me to 'take it home and burn it in your garden'. When I said I lived it in a flat, she shrugged her shoulders.

Andy

Many, many years ago I went to a local council tip, I think it was Kettering, and alongside the tip they had a proper re-cycling centre, full of loads of different sorts of 'useful' things people had dumped. You could buy the stuff for peanuts. I bought a couple of old doors and an old bicycle.
It was operated by an independent group who were allowed to collect useful stuff from the tip. The set-up was almost as though the staff would re-direct you if they thought your rubbish was truly recyclable.

These days if you spot something that might be useful and ask if you can retrieve it you're warned off. Apart from the obvious safety problems where's the harm in recycling other peoples unwanted stuff instead of it going to landfill?

The last time I went to the dump, (years ago) I was told by the Idiot on the gate that I cannot bring in a timber fence as it was trade waste. (I had driven there in the car) I told them that it was my fence, they then told me to 'take it home and burn it in your garden'. When I said I lived it in a flat, she shrugged her shoulders.

Andy

Sooo..you have a fence, but no garden? And lived in a flat? :eek:

One dump near me sells stuff like old TV's, microwaves etc or did a while back, where you just chuck everything, but the other dump, you have to seperate everything out, and dump into different bays, watched closely by CCTV.

Andy

I know what you mean!

Had the same 2 weeks ago.

I have a permit for my van, for the local tip.My van has 2 pipe carriers, 2 sets of ladders on the roof, and some sign writing on the side that says what I do, so to the normal public my trade is obvious plumbing.

Went there with a few jumbo bags of grass/hedge cuttings.Bloke on the gate turned me away, saying that it was trade waste.When I explained that it was highly unlikely for me to find this amount of shrubbery in a CWSC or loft space, they let me get rid.

Bloody common sense has gone out of the window these days!!

Still, I suppose these places have to stay open, to employ all the braindead teens that the schools are churning out these days!!!

Rant over.

Bloody common sense has gone out of the window these days!!
By and large true. Before he retired (well laid off at 63 1/2) my father worked for the council. On occasions he had to collect rubbish that had been dumped on the side of the road and look through it for letters and the like to identify the person who had dumped it. This did result in a number of proscections. Also at the time (1980's) the council approached the police about charging people with removing stuff from skips only to be told to go away as it wasn't worth their time charging people with stealing rubbish that it's owners didn't want anyway. Fast forward to today and the councils have got there way.
A couple of years ago driving through our local industrial estate I notivced someone had dumped a load of paving bricks. Two weeks later they were still there so I stopped and began loading them into my van. Almost straigh away a security guard arrived to ask me what I was doing and telling me I can't dump stuff there. I told him what I was doing. "oh that's a new one on me " he replied a little shocked and radioed back to base. Common sense here prevailed and we chatted as I loaded up :)

Isn't it illegal to steal stuff from peoples skips now? I know someone that works for VOSA, and they are very strict on this, but surely if someone threw something away, it's easy pickings? But my man said, yes, but that material may be contaminated, and you are putting yourself up as a health hazard..

He said to me he once came across x4 brand new alloys with new tyres in a skip, that would fit his car....but the back story was the tyres were origionally fitted to a car that had run over and killed two people, urgh. Literally run over them, not hit them.

Haven't read the thread but the current legislation regarding re cycling and waste disposal is about 25 years to late.

City and towns people are not penalised nearly heavily enough for the waste they produce.
We fought a long battle with fly tippers tipping rubbish on land we purchased.

Another relative has just moved his family home of 15 years due to a large tip near his home. The stench of it is unbearable in summer.
His underground well supplied from the water table is just a few hundred from the tip.

Workers pump a toxic effluent out of the tip every day.
The whole lot should be removed and placed back at the doorsteps of the filthy people who created it imo.

Sponsored Links