Fog Horn Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone

I have read a few posts on here regarding two toilets which, after being flushed, sound like a fog horn.

I have attempted to replace a diaphragm but a small piece of plastic, this bit which "pushes" the diaphragm was broken and also needed replacing.

So, I decided it would be easier just to replace the float valve, or so I thought....

I took off the original valve and took it to a local merchants, bought two new valves and they dont appear to be the same size...

Picture one is before, showing the old valve, picture two is after it's removed.

I cant get the new valve to screw on to the old white thread.

Do I have to replace that side fill piece too with a newer piece, or, is there some kind of adaptor which connects the two different sizes?

My partner has been very understanding but after a couple of weeks with me trying and swearing, I am sure her patience is running out!

Thanks in advance

IMG_20161016_153446.jpg IMG_20161102_064516.jpg

Sponsored Links
less trouble to buy a complete new one. Fluidmaster are considered very good, and will be quieter than your old one (but a different shape). The version with a brass shank is a little more expensive but much less likely to be damaged by cross-threading the connecting nut.

I think I saw Torbeck on clearance at Wickes a few days ago, it is the smallest and quietest, but can be clogged by grit or limescale. If so it has to be unscrewed and washed out.

p.s.
you need a bottom-entry valve (including the stem), not a side-entry one.

If the new valve will screw onto the existing upright piece and give a watertight seal, can you then change the arm and float over onto the new body, might get you out of trouble, otherwise you need to change the lot, undoing it from the bottom of the cistern.

If you need to replace completely, then change the fibre washer on the water connection on the valve inlet, its unlikely to seal again if disturbed. Lastly use extreme caution putting a brass nut onto a plastic thread, will crossthread very easily and new valve will then be scrap.

Sponsored Links
Fluidmaster pro and a 1/2" fibre washer from the same place

shopping

isolate the toilet water supply, flush then sponge out the rest. Unscrew old and bang in the new one, following the instructions. Tis done

Thank you..... will that Fluidmaster valve fit the existing pipework, or, will I be in the same situation with a mix of old and new sized piping?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back