foil back plasterboard or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please,

I have recently had all the structual work done for my loft dormer and am now at the stage where i insulate and board ready for the plasterer.
I have got 150mm kingspan between the joists and have already bought the plasterboard.
My concern is should i have bought foil backed plasterboard or does the normal board just go straight on walls and ceiling or should i be putting some 1000 gauge plastic membrane and then the plaster board.

Sponsored Links
If you only have normal plasterboard then you can use vapour barrier, About £15 for a big roll from your local Wickes. It's thin green stuff.

The kingspan is covered in foil so is its own vapour check.

All that is potentially left, are the roof timbers. Now the area of these timbers may be considerd so small that an additional vapour check is not required, but they can aways be covered with aluminium tape (along with the insulation joints), to form a continuous vapour check

Thanks for the advice folks, still on with the kingspan it seems to take for ever

Sponsored Links
I take it the work your doing is by the regs, if so regarding kingspan up my neck of the woods when we first used it we never used vapour barrier, the BI was happy then the rules changed :rolleyes: and now we have to use it. But like woody says it's cover in foil, so I'm guessing it was changed because of the rafters being exsposed.

Yep all to regs BI came out when buliders had done structual work and was happy i was out but told wife to use foil plasterboard but had already bought normal which was delivered later same day

If thats all you need to do to satisfy the BI can't you just get your supplier to bring you some foil backed and take the normal back, sure they may charge you for an extra delivery but its less than having to fit/buy an extra membrane.

Did your BI ask for foil back boards ? if not then normal handie boards will be cheaper than F.B/boards, compare the price of them to an roll of TPS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back