Foil or non foil backed insulation

Thanks - I appreciate that explanation. ll will consider the options - I didn't want to take the plasterboard down only because I assumed I'd need to put new stuff up, but it is different if I don't need to....

Sponsored Links
Can I ask a stupid question? Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't just put the membrane over the plasterboard, sealing in the same way instead of pulling it down?

Also, unless I misunderstood, what is the difference between using the membrane and using insulation sheets in terms of stopping little amounts of warm damp air entering the floor space from above and slowly causing condensation? Would the risk be the same?

Sponsored Links
Can I ask a stupid question? Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't just put the membrane over the plasterboard, sealing in the same way instead of pulling it down?

Could do, certainly.. Normally the plasterboard is the finish so we tend not to think in terms of putting membranes in the visible side of it

Also, unless I misunderstood, what is the difference between using the membrane and using insulation sheets in terms of stopping little amounts of warm damp air entering the floor space from above and slowly causing condensation? Would the risk be the same?

They have slightly different purposes, the membrane being to stop drafts, the insulation being to prevent heat loss. The two concepts are related of course and it's also possible to install insulation so week that it also forms a draft proofing layer. One critical difference is that membranes are usually designed to allow some tender I'd water vapour at least in one direction, and thus can allow any building materials that have absorbed moisture to release it again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back