Foil v Blanket insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me the pros/cons of using foil-based insulation over standard blanket insulation.

I've been happy with using something like Knauf spaceblanket before but would like to know if the thinner foil-based stuff is as effective (something like Airtec from Screwfix).

I'm not going to board the loft or anything like that so size isn't really an issue - which is the more efficient, or have I got things seriously mixed up?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi bboy,

The Spaceblanket stuff is on a buy-one-get-one-free deal at B&Q at the moment (£14 for 2 rolls.) I'd assume the benefits of lesser volume insulation compared to the increased cost of it would mean that the Spaceblanket stuff is a better option.

Thanks Nev, still might go with the Knauf Spaceblanket stuff, and if it's on special, even better.

To sort this out in my head though, could I just use a foil-based insulation on it's own (with no glass fibre in the product) or is it no good for lofts?

Thanks again,

The thing with insulation is that every different type has a different thermal conductivity, that's its ability to conduct heat. The lower the figure quoted the better, for example Rockwool Cavity insulation is 0.037Wm/k. But it also depends on the thickness, more is better obviously. Generally the thinner foil 'layered' types are used where space is an issue i.e. headroom in a loft conversion. Just beacause an insulation is cheaper it doesn't mean its going to keep more heat in and vice versa.

Sponsored Links
some insulation is used on timber frame houses.
and not suitable for bog standard loft insulation.
ie:140mm frame therm external walls.
ie:90mm frame therm party walls
all different u values all expensive.
use stuff from b&q cant go wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back