for RGI's "would you commision a non RGI install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Instead of nicking the other chaps post I thought I would start a new one on this interesting topic.

My opinion is that yes you can without breaching GSIU regs because of the fact that the last RGI to work on the appilance is reponsible for the safety of said appilance and the gas pipe serving it. IMO if this covers old installation why not new.

As long as the DIY'er has installed it as per manufacturers instructions, and the RGI ensures that he has taken all reasonable steps to ensure the gas safety of the installation why not?

:)

Sponsored Links
I would not commission an installation that was not by an RGI, unless it was by a competent person who was not installing by way of trade/business. In other words, only if the installation was legal according to GS(IU)R.

The installer details must go into the Benchmark record and I would need to be satisfied of the competence of the installer in relation to the work he carried out. I would prefer to at least fit the flue and connect the gas supply myself and preferable hang the boiler too, so that I would then be the installer as well as commissioner.

I am not willing to "sign-off" other people's illegal installations. Doing so undermines the commercial position of all of us who have gone to the trouble and expense of becoming RGIs. It would also put me in a difficult position if problems arise due to defective installation.

I totally agree with Chris that no RGI should in any way legalise a non RGI installation afterwards.

However I have no hesitation in commissioning any boiler whoever installed it and I will fill in the comissioning part of the Benchmark and mark the Installer details a "Not Known" or "Not Disclosed". Details of water treatment are also positively completed as "not known" etc.

Its better for an illegal installation to be properly checked by an RGI.

Tony

The truth of this matter is, If you do sign them off on anothers behalf;

'On Your Head Be It'

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
:):):):)

you three are totally right, but makes for an interesting talk dont it?

"I would not commission an installation that was not by an RGI, unless it was by a competent person who was not installing by way of trade/business. In other words, only if the installation was legal according to GS(IU)R. "

So you WOULD have signed my boiler off then ...

i have been asked many times to sign off installs by acs approved engineers who are corgi registered through their companies, but cant sign their private work off with their firms number.i refuse .i wont put my name to things i have not installed or seen installed.Also these guys are getting good wages every week and then using firms materials to undercut us self employed engineers who are trying to make a living and have all the paperwork to do aswell.

Geoff said:
So you WOULD have signed my boiler off then ...
No you missed the bit about being competent mate..

If it was done entirely to my prior instructions and I could verify everything and I did the flue and gas, and I was paid as much as though I'd done everything less a bit for the labour, and possibly other things I've forgotten, then yes I'd put my name on it.

I quite often do LGSR's where I believe a non-rgi has just installed a boiler. Capped the last one off, but often they check out ok.

No you missed the bit about being competent mate..

No, I didn't

But then ... I didn't need it signing off

I am a woman who have been robbed out of pocket and have nothing in my pocket now my boiler was not commissioned ad needs to be done can anyone help?

Start your own new thread and explain clearly exactly what has happened and who was involved and then we will endeavour to help you.

Make sure you say exactly what you know about the person who did the work and why you engaged him without knowing who he is.

Tony

I would not commission an installation that was not by an RGI, unless it was by a competent person who was not installing by way of trade/business. In other words, only if the installation was legal according to GS(IU)R.
I am not willing to "sign-off" other people's illegal installations.

Very odd.

If someone installs a system for profit, it is not illegal if he does not turn the gas supply on at the meter. Many sites have non-qualified people using push-fit plastic pipes and a CORGI man to commission. The CORGI man only commissions, everything else is done by the non-qualified people, even gas meter work and filling the system. On one site I saw the non-qualified men doing an air test on the gas supply to make sure they had no escapes. They wanted no comebacks which may be ripping up floors to repair escapes after.

If someone installs a system NOT for profit, it is not illegal if he does turn the gas supply on at the meter, as long as he tested for soundness.

I've been asked many times to commission installs by non RGI, also oil installations, so far I've always said no, the simple fact is I always have plenty of my own work to do without causing myself headaches taking the responsibilities for someone elses work. like someone else said, each qualified person has worked long and hard to get and maintain their qualifications, why should I throw all my time and money away to help out someone who won't put themselves out and prove their worth and necessary experience, just like the rest of us have had to.

If anyone asks me to commission a boiler then I am quite happy to do it.

Very rarely its a self install who wants it professionally commissioned.

Mostly its unregistered and when I tell them that all I do is commission and that I will not "sign them off" then they lose interest!

Tony

I've got a mate who signs off work by lads who he knows an trusts, but he charges them £200. Easy money he reckons. (by the way they are gas qualified but are employees.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back