for RGI's "would you commision a non RGI install

But that £200 has an element of coersion as what he is doing is illegal ( in CORGI terms ) and not many RGIs are prepared to do it !

Operating within the strict requirements of CORGI registration is sometimes quite difficult and I fully understand why many are not prepared to even commission illegal installations.

Hoiwever, the CORGI viewpoint is correctly that boilers do need to be commissioned by an RGI and are "At Risk" until they have been commissioned.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Intresting thread.....only today did i just about finish installing a boiler for a customer after a week of roughing out 2 bathrooms and running all the central heating pipe work. Going back on monday to do showers,baths etc.

Cored the flue hole, mounted boiler and made up the tails so far.

I haven't yet plumbed the "gas" pipe in because until its actually connected to the gas meter its just a pipe. Exactly the same pipe as a water pipe.

I figure if i can solder copper to hold 3-4 bar of water pressure i can surely solder a "gas" pipe to hold 20mbar. I've seen gas pipes plugged with denso tape (albeit a very temporary measure without it passing) I wouldn't do that mind.

The ways some gas guys talk is if its some black art :)

So my question is, if i get my mate who is Corgi ( i am a plumber btw) to connect gas pipe then have i broken any laws?

I have never been corgi or even done acs.

My father however did his ACS in 3 days at 52 years old.

Yes, you have fitted gas pipe when not CORGI registered! Anyone connecting it to a gas supply will be taking a risk!

If you water leaks it just makes things wet! If gas leaks it can explode!

If your father can do the ACS at the advanced age of 52 then surely you are a lot younger and should get off your ass and do it yourself and become legal and join ARGI.

Tony

Its not a Gas pipe until its connect to a gas supply though is it Tony?

Sponsored Links
Strictly the illegality has not occured until its connected to a gas supply.

But a pipe whose only purpose is to convey gas is likely to become an illegal install if anyone connects it to a gas supply.

In my kitchen I have one of those wooden blocks with six very sharp knives. They are all perfectly legal as long as they are in my kitchen! ( Sorry I meant Martha's kitchen as its out of bounds to me ).

If I take one of those knives out of the house then I can be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon.

The stupidity is that I can legally buy a kitchen knife in John Lewis but I cannot take it home legally!

Tony

But a pipe whose only purpose is to convey gas is likely to become an illegal install if anyone connects it to a gas supply.

Sounds a bit strange tbh, Likely to become illegal???/

How do you make a gas pipe that you haven't installed by yourself (an rgi) legal?

If say you install a new boiler and that the current gas pipe is ok size and route wise but currently untested by yourself do you rip the whole run out and start again from the meter? or is simply getting an rgi to test it for soundness and it passing make it legal? If the latter is the case then no laws have been broken?

Please clarify this.

Whilst an RGI can test it for gas he cannot make it legal. Thats why few RGIs are willing to get involved with illegal work!

A well fluxed pipe with stand the very low pressure of nat gas for many years!

Tony

So all(all meaning good law fearing guys)RGI always run a new gas line from the meter then?

personally I wouldn't commission any one else' work and I don't know anyone in the trade who would.

All,

I understand that installations need to be certified safe and as such would rather see an illegal install commisioned correctly.

However, i fail to understand why RGI's would want to sign off other peoples work. We work in a closed shop. Spent lots of time and money training and getting qualifications and registering. Why cheapen the effort and do others working illegally a favour......i won't. If i sign it off i have installed it....period.

The reason why some will sign off others work is a mixture of greed ( £200 ! ) and a misguided idea that they are helping "some unfortunate who cannot bother to get registered" for some reason that I can never understand.

There are certainly many RGIs in the London area who sign off other's work and most seem to charge about £50 from what I can gather. Often they are third world "helping" others from their country. Some seem to do little else!

Another senario which is more prevalent is making an illegal installation kosher by issuing a CP12 !

There are many RGIs who give a CP12 rather than notify as its cheaper and easier and does not risk CORGI seeing they have done a bad job.

I will commission a boiler but I would never notify an installation unless I had done the key points myself.

Tony

join ARGI.
Tony

I'm intrigued by this ARGI thing Tony, what's it about? Presumably you still have to be CORGI registered? In which case what's the advantage of shelling out even more money to another body?

Well its quite simple really.

You have to join CORGI to do gas work and they charge you quite a lot, maybe £250 and make you feel as if you are not very valued.

Then you join ARGI costing just £50 and they argue with CORGI on your behalf. Then they wear down CORGI and get them to stop doing gas registration and hand it over to Capita who charge about £200 so you dont really lose any money at all.

Of course when Capita are registering then ARGI will continue to keep their excesses under control and generally make life easier for RGIs and ARGIs.

Tony

And when they are not doing that they will wipe out constipation entirely.

personally I wouldn't commission any one else' work and I don't know anyone in the trade who would.

No disrespect to you dangermouse, but I ffink you need to go to Specsavers. :LOL: :LOL:

I will not commission any ones work, whether they are competent or not.

Rgi,s that are prepared to commission other installers work are turning a blind eye to the fact that the installs are illegal, and their motive is pure greed.

It has been mentioned that some commission but don't sign off work, whats the point of that. Whichever way you look at it the installation was illegal and the commissioning Rgi is in it for the money.This then escalates as the non Rgi has now found a clown to do the donkey work.

As for CP 12's, it blo0dy easy to see when its an illegal installation. Issuing CP12's on these is again down to pure greed, where a self respecting Rgi would laugh and walk away. Tough shi*e on the dodgy landlords.
And if landlord get a clown to issue CP12's then landlord and Rgi should be reported !!!

Our industry is already suffering heavily due to the high volume of rouge installers cashing in, but whats pi**ing me off is the greedy Rgi clowns that are prepared to commission on their behalf. Using safety issues as an excuse is pathetic. I sure dont lose sleep worrying about an other installers work.

Has anyone thought how much work Rgi's are loosing to these rouges.
And the rouges are only to happy to pay a clown £200 to commission boiler.
Most customers don't have a clue what a GWN means, as far as they are concerned a Corgi Rgi checked the boiler and thats it.

BG engineer offered me £300 to sign off his installs. Now this bloke's work is good but illegal, and its work that could have come my way but could not compete with his price, wonder why. :evil:

Builder offered me 3 refurbs only if I commissioned and signed off his own home. He installed all pipe work and had fitted the boiler. I was very diplomatic and told him it was illegal and that he needs reporting, ...................silence ...........oh he hung up. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As Rgi's we are our own worst enemy and until we all sing from the same song sheet we always will be fighting one and other for work.
We should all be able to make a comfortable income but some amongst us revert to greed and fu*k it up. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back