For the Brissle - boys !!

Regarding the ships hooters, they still do it in Liverpool on the River Mersey but as there is less river traffic these days it is muted to what it used to be like.
When I was a child the docks were always bustling with ships coming and going, but now they have a large container dock at Seaforth,near the mouth of the river, very little comes past the Pier Head and down to the south end.

Coupled with the breaking up of communities in the inner cities, New Year is not such a joyous thing these days sadly.

Sponsored Links
It's interesting to learn that the ships' horns were sounded all over the Country and not just where I grew up. Whilst on the subject of New Year (and without wishing to hijack the thread) another thing that was common in my area was to stand outside one's house or flat at midnight and bash a saucepan with a spoon. Almost everyone would be out making as much noise as possible to see in the New Year.

Not quite the same as the docks at New Year but a haunting sound all the same:

Not quite the same as the docks at New Year but a haunting sound all the same:

Almost a perfect fifth. How musical! I wonder whether they tuned them so carefully on purpose.

Sponsored Links
I cant begin to imagine what a ship's horn contest is all about.

Back