Ford Focus new key problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2005 Ford Focus. The remote locking function of my remote key stopped working after getting it wet. After changing battery (no help) I purchased a new Ford remote unit and fitted it to the old key (it slides inside it). I then coded it using the process described in the handbook. However, whilst the remote locking will work OK with the new key, it is not recognised by the immobiliser and the car will not start. Fortunately, the old key is still recognised and I can use this one to start the car. How can I get the new key recognised by the immobiliser as well as the central locking? Thanks..

Sponsored Links
do you have 2 original keys plus 1 new one, or just 1 original key plus the new one??

i'm sure the key needs programming to the immobiliser by ford

NO,you have left the pats chip in your old remote key,should be iirc a little piece of black plastic by christ dont lose it,fords will charge you up to £150 to reprogram all your keys,have a good look in your old key and put in your new 1,jobs a gooden.
as you have found you can program the remote part of the key but to program the pats its dealer only.or a decent mobile locksmith.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that advice, it makes perfect sense . Final question, is there any trick to removing the small chip without damaging it? I am assuming it just slides out with the careful use of some long nose pliers?

Don't use pliers, try to get the little blanking plug out then it should fall into your hand. Be careful, I've seen them being broken in the process of getting them out.

Thanks..agreed but the "plug" only protrudes slightly from the main body of the unit so there is very little to get hold of (its the 3 button remote model). I have tried using my nails to pull it out without success, its lodged in firmly, if indeed its meant to come out at all...I'm cautious not to damage it having read horror stories on other forums..frustrating!

mmm is the car new to you??if not previous owner may have glued the chip in place,to stop it falling out when batteries need changing.try this at your own risk!!!
gently using a screwdriver try to wiggle it free.
normally they just slide out.hence why peeps wonder why they cant start there car.

Sponsored Links
Back