ford ka t reg 1.3 central locking and.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, daughters ford ka, has become very difficult to open the drivers side door, extremely stiff to turn the key and it's hitty miss if it opens or not, and it's much harder to operate in colder conditions. Also it does close easier than it opens.
If all else fails she opens the car using the passenger side, even this seems to play up, although easy to turn the key, the motor seems to be trying to open and close continuously.
Is there something easy I can do to put it right or do I need to buy a new part.
Also because she left her doors open because of the fault, someone has helped themselves to everything in the car including her locking wheel nut special socket, she hasn't got a spare one and has no idea where or who fitted them, anyone any ideas on getting a new one or failing that the best way to remove the nuts.

Sponsored Links
with regards to the central locking, have you got a spare key to test in the lock? ford keys are well known for wearing, and as the drivers door gets the most use, that wears as well, if the key is not worn and works fine in passenger door, boot and ignition (without having to jiggle it) it will be the lock itself that needs to be replaced, you can buy them in kit form and rebuilf them yourself (not easy) see this post

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=123711

when you say it closes easier, all fords do, you don't even need the correct key to lock a ford.

with regards to the locking wheel nut, are they standard ford alloys or are they aftermarket? if they look like this

unbranded-krooklok-locking-wheel-nuts.jpg

they are very difficult to remove due to being hardened steel, if not, you can buy a kit for about £10

Thanks for the quick reply Dave,
I'll check if she has a spare key.
Now you mention it, she does have difficulty with the boot as well and the passenger side although easier it's still not as easy as I think it should be, so good advice there let's hope it's the key.
The picture showing the locking wheel nuts are exactly like that, the alloys are fitted as standard so I guess maybe the original ford garage that sold the car will have a record of the locking nuts fitted and I'll probably get some info from them.
Thanks very much for your help.
TC

On my Ford KA the drivers side was stiff and would unlock but couldn't lock. On the internet I heard that ware was a common problem so removed the lock with the view to replacing it.
However when I removed it I noticed it was dry and had rust in the mechanism. So I sprayed WD40 and applied some oil and it worked like new! So I tried just spraying the passenger side lock which was a bit stiff and got the same result, it worked a treat.
So before splashing out on new locks, give this try.
Regards
:)

Sponsored Links
On my Ford KA the drivers side was stiff and would unlock but couldn't lock. On the internet I heard that ware was a common problem so removed the lock with the view to replacing it.
However when I removed it I noticed it was dry and had rust in the mechanism. So I sprayed WD40 and applied some oil and it worked like new! So I tried just spraying the passenger side lock which was a bit stiff and got the same result, it worked a treat.
So before splashing out on new locks, give this try.
Regards
:)
Thanks for that, I'm still having the problems and often have to unlock from the drivers side. I was given some graphite flakes, to put into the locks as putting WD would possibly 'cause' rust problems after a while. The graphite flakes didn't work, then I was a bit wary re-using WD in case it mixed with the flakes and created a paste, so left well alone, but maybe now it's been quite a while since I added the flakes, I'll give WD a try, at least on the drivers side for now, that way I don't bugger up all the locks.
Regards :D

I have a similar problem. In the winter I unfroze the drivers door lock by the kettle of hot water method. Since then the driver's side lock will lock, but not unlock. So I have been unlocking from the passenger's side. Yesterday I unlocked from the passenger's side, but the central locking seemed to lock and unlock itself two or three times before I got in. also the electric windows seem not to be working. Any suggestions please ?

Thanks in advance.

Mine does the same as this, but the key will lock the driver's door, but not unlock it. Passenger side was fine for both. Does this suggest a worn key ?

It seems the problem is common and have been quoted about £40 to get a new lock plus fitting! It's the mother-in-law's car, which my wife drives because it is easier in the traffic, the key works fine all round except unlocking the drivers door, I presume the lock is at fault and not the key. I too will get my tools on the problem once I have sourced a new lock... In the past the lock motors would work continuously of and on without moving the key at all... so sorry but I am not at all impressed with the door gear quality... it just does not sound like a golf' :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back