Ford Red Key...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1999 Ford Focus but have lost the red key. Still have two other keys, is there a cost effective way of replacing a red key without having to go to a ford garage...? If so who or where do I go to get red key made..(Bristol Area)?

Sponsored Links
Have a quick read of your insurance details, my van policy covers me for lost keys, no excess to pay, and doesnt affect the no claims.

Hi if you can find a decent lock smith that does cars they can clone the keys you have, but you might have to look around abit to find one though.jim.

Are you sure that a red key existed for said car? Are both keys remote locking? Do you have a key with a blue mark?

Sponsored Links
Yes the car comes with a master key.... and no there is not one with a blue mark.

Will have chat with ford garage to see.

As I understand it I just can't programme my own keys in the future, and if I loose them I might be in trouble.

Would not mind, just might make easier to sell the car in the future.

Which key does it resemble?:
Ford1.GIF
Ford2.GIF

My fathers focus only has two keys, it is possible to program new keys onto his using these keys (you must have two keys to do this.) He does not have a red key.

I used to work at a large Ford dealer, and if I remember rightly Ford did away with the Red Master key in 1998-1999.

You used to be able to program (clone) a new black key from the Red master by putting the Red in the ignition turning to position II until the Red light by the clock came on and stayed on, then do the same with a new black key, light would go off and hey presto key programmed.

I think the newer models had to be programmed with FDS (diagnostic tool) but don't quote me on that.

I then worked for Vauxhall, who's keys up until 1998 were clonable, but after that need to be programmed by Tech2

the focus used generation 2 PATS (passive anti-theft system). As far as i can remember it only used 2 keys. something rings a bell that the early owners handbooks still refers to the gen 1 PATS (ie red master key) :LOL:
if you only have one key, to get replacements it will have to be connected to WDS2000 at a ford dealer to reset the PATS and CSM. Cloned keys from key cutting shops can play havoc with the management.

Have key with three buttons and with no buttons....

Yes the manual refers to a red key...but did not get one with the car...so was a little concerned that it would be expensive to relace like of Fiats and alfas where a red key costs upwards of £500...

AS I have two keys not really an issue for the present..

Thanks for all the advice.

ive bought a blank key from ebay for not much at all and had it cut at ford for around £20 rather than going direct to them extorsion freak they are

According to my info. (Autodata) you do not have a red key with a Focus,
the key with the 3 buttons is the master.

;)

Sponsored Links
Back