found a live wire disconnected behind a double socket.

MK terminals are not good when fitting 2 wires.
Still doesn't explain why the original Legrand socket ended up like it did.

I'm with BAS - time to get the house paperwork out and check the test sheet. I image the builder went with the lowest price.

Sponsored Links
On the subject of the terminals in the MK logic plus range sockets, Ive spoken to my local area slaes rep about it and apparently they know about the issues with the terminals and very soon a new range is being launched with new improved terminals and a redesign of the socket face.
So i shall wait for my samples to arrive and report back.
I prefer Crabtree sockets and switches myself but been fitting MK recently as i got a great deal on them.

If that box installation is a sign of the quality of build of your new home it might be worth checking a few other things out. Even the dumbest amateur could do better than that.

i've fitted the new double and put both live wires in the terminal. it appears to be all working fine again.

i'm a little concerned after some of the comments though, should i disconnect it again incase it was meant to be like that?

up close the end of the copper did look like it had been snipped to me, as i say there were no witness marks which i would expect if it had been installed in a terminal.

thanks again for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked end-to-end continuity at the CU with a multimeter?

Might be worthwhile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back