Replacing double sockets

bkw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

I have bought a bunch of new brushed steel double sockets to replace all the old MK white sockets through out the house. After wiring in about five of them I noticed that the terminals on the back of the new socket are the other way round to the old ones, often making stretching the exposed cables to the relevant terminal quite difficult. There earth and neutral and on the right hand side. I would have thought that all UK sockets would have terminals on the same side. Does anyone know what the form is on this. And what can be done if there is not enough exposed cable to run across the back of the new sockets? Can extra wire be soldered on and wrapped in tape?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
It can be soldered, but you'd need to use shrink fit sleeving of the appropriate colour to protect it.

Thanks for that. Is is usual for sockets to be either "left" or "right" handed? I would have thought there would have been an industry standard to prevent this problem.

BKW

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back