Found an open ended live wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone recommend whats my safest option. I have just moved into a new house and under the stairs is the consumer box, upon inspection I found a section of T&E rolled up hanging above the unit with the end exposed. Being a cautious person I thought I would test the cable first but thought no stupid person would leave a live wire exposed. Lucky for me because the cable turned out to be live and after switching off the individual breakers it turned out it was on the same circuit as my electric oven. I need to safely terminate the wires whats my easiest option ? Would connecting up to a terminal block do and if so what sort of amps would I need.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
the best option would be to disconnect and remove the cable completely.

Matt,

Switch off the main switch in the consumer unit. Switch on the mcb connected to the loose cable and check the end of the cable to make sure its dead. If its not dead, go no further and call out a lecky. If its dead, remove the outer cover of the CU to reveal the cables. There may be an inner cover over all the live (phase) wires where they connect to the mcbs. If fitted, remove this innner cover. Disconnect the loose cable from its mcb, the neutral busbar and the earth bar. Pull the cable out. Check for loose articles and then replace all covers. Switch main switch back on.

Phone your surveyor and ask him what he did when he checked your house before you bought it?

Phone your surveyor and ask him what he did when he checked your house before you bought it?

Haha! You are kidding, I trust?

Even if you do fork out for more than just a valuation, the most electrical advice you'll ever get from a surveyor is to commission a PIR.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice, in the end I switched off the power to the mcb and tested the wires which were dead. I then removed the faceplate from the actual cooker switch and found the four sets of wires, one to the hob, one to the cooker and one from the supply and the other was the dodgy one which I wanted to disconnect. I picked one out of the three which could have been the one and switched the power back on and lo and behold the right wires first time. Just makes me wonder what they was thinking by running the cable from the switch back near the consumer unit and to leave the wires live completely open its a wonder someone didn't get a nasty shock.

Is this house brand new, or new to you?

If its new then you should have cause for complaint to the builder and/or the installaer.

Actually you have cause for complaint to the installer.
If its an older house then its possible that it was done by the last owner, or someone hired by him.

Its an older house that has been rewired, I think i'm going to have to double check all the wiring as on process of elimination in finding out which mcb the open wire was I came across another issue. When I switch off the downstairs socket mcb all the upstairs sockets go off. I think the upstairs mcb controls the kitchen sockets but haven't fully tested this yet. Do you think that would cause any implications ie Having say 4 Rooms plus a few others on one ring main and only 1 room on another, am I likely to overload the circuit or should I be okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back